Get Curated Reading Suggestions on Selected Topics Sent Right to Your Inbox.

Rock Enon Springs Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17

1303 THL

Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of a register used at Rock Enon Springs Resort, Frederick County, VA, USA, from June 1, 1887 to August 14, 1920.
(1 box) Last updated 01/13. DIGITIZED 02/07.

Biographical/Historical: Rock Enon Springs Resort is located 18 miles west of Winchester on Rt. 683. The resort is built up around a mineral water spring and was originally called Capper Springs after John Capper, an early settler. In 1856, William Marker bought the property and built a hotel. The resort contained six kinds of springs on the 942 acres of property. During the 1800s, it became very popular as a place for people to heal various ailments, soaking in the spring’s waters. The resort survived the Civil War and continued to draw Virginia’s elite. It changed owners several times until, in 1919, it was purchased by Fred Glaize Sr. and Lee Herrellin who tore down several buildings and the original wing. The resort continued to lose business until 1945 when the Glaize Family sold the resort to the Boy Scouts who now use it as a summer camp.

Cite As: Rock Enon Springs Records, #1303, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.


Box 1

New Articles

Advertisement, “Wild Nature in Virginia,” written by M. Despard, n.d., 1 page, printed

Hotel register used at Rock Enon Springs Resort, June 1, 1887-August 14, 1920, 1 volume, manuscript

Mapcase 1 Drawer 8

Rock Enon Springs – Plat, drawn 1915, manuscript, 1 item