Pick up your library card at any branch. What you need to bring:
- Driver’s license or other government-issued picture identification with your name and physical address and/or proof of paying personal property taxes in the region the library serves. If your picture ID doesn’t have your physical address on it, see proof of residency list below.
- Children ages 5 to 15 need a parent or legal guardian present to sign the application. Youth 16 or over do not need a parent’s signature if they have a driver’s license or government-issued picture ID and proof of physical address.
For local cardholders and residents of neighboring counties, library accounts expire every three years. To renew your account, give us a call at Bowman (869-9000 ext. 4), Clarke County (955-5144), or Handley (662-9041 ext. 10), or visit us in person. We will verify your information and update your account for another three years.
Non-Resident Card Options
Residents of Loudoun, Fauquier, Warren, and Shenandoah counties may have free HRLS library cards by showing their home library cards along with a driver’s license or government-issued picture identification with name and physical address.
Non-resident local workers (those employed within our service area -- Winchester City and Frederick and Clarke Counties) may apply for a free library card by presenting a recent pay stub with company address imprinted or a photo ID badge from the place of employment, along with a current driver's license with current physical address. (If the driver's license does not have a physical address on it, see acceptable items to prove residency below.)
Other nonresidents may purchase library cards for $25 annually.
Items that may be used for proof of residency (shows name & current physical address):
- First class mail
- Lease or deed
- Utility bill
- Preprinted check
- Bank statement
- Payroll stub or receipt
- Car registration
- Voter registration card
Benefits of Your Library Card
For a complete list, view our borrowing guidelines here.
- Check out books, CDs, DVDs / Blu-Rays
- Delivery available to your home branch if materials are located elsewhere in the system
- Download free eBooks, audio books, eMagazines, and music
- Place holds, check your library records, and make payments at home through our web page
- Return materials to any branch. Drive-by returns are available at all locations
- Access online resources for research and education, including full-text databases, and more from our digital library
- Use free Internet service at Handley, Bowman and Clarke County libraries
- Check-out privileges at Loudoun, Fauquier, Warren, and Shenandoah County libraries
- Borrow materials like our hotspots, launch pads, and video games