General Accessibility Information
- Parking at all three branches
- Disabled ramp at Handley Library on the side of the building
- Elevator at Handley Library
- Benham Gallery wheelchair lift at Handley Library
- Wheelchair-accessible computer (#1 at Handley Library)
Services for the hearing-impaired
- Closed-captioning feature on almost all DVDs in our collection
Services for the Seeing-Impaired
- Braille signage throughout the Handley and Bowman building
- A small selection of titles in braille, in the juvenile collection
- Dyslexic Font setting in OverDrive’s Libby app available for downloaded eBooks
- English Descriptive Audio feature for many DVDs in our collection
- Substantial large-print and audiobook collection
- Electronic Magnifier in Handley’s East Study Room
- Hand-held magnifier for in-house use available upon request at Bowman Library and Handley Library Info Desk
The Handley Library branch is KultureCity® Certified Sensory InclusiveTM
For patrons who have sensory processing needs:
The Handley Library, part of the Handley Regional Library System, has partnered with KultureCity® to enhance our ability to assist and accommodate patrons with sensory needs. Our goal is to provide an inclusive experience for all Handley Library patrons. We strive to raise awareness of the needs and challenges faced by individuals with sensory processing needs by supplying annual staff training and by offering the resources and accommodations below to library patrons.
KultureCity® Sensory bags
KultureCity® Sensory bags containing special KCVIP badges, feeling thermometers, fidget tools, and noise-canceling headphones are available for checkout (at no cost by leaving an ID) at our Greeter Desk located at the entrance and at our Youth Services Information Desk located on the Second Floor. An additional pair of noise-canceling headphones is also available for checkout (at no cost by leaving an ID) at our Information Services Desk in the Adult Reading Room.
Weighted Lap Pad
A weighted lap pad is available upon request (at no cost by leaving an ID) at our Youth Services Information Desk located on the Second Floor.
During Youth Services programs, the Teen Room on the Second Floor and the Benham Gallery on the Lower Level will be designated as Quiet Rooms as needed. Two Study Rooms are located on the Main Level. Our West Reading Room on the Main Level is also a designated Quiet Zone.
Social Story and KultureCity® App
Plan your visit by viewing the Handley Library’s social story here: https://venue.kulturecity.org/venues/handley-regional-library-system
For more information on accessibility, please call 540.662.9041.