Opequon Factory Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17
archives@handleyregional.org
www.handleyregional.org

804 THL

Inventory created by Archives Staff 10/98. Last revised 01/2020.

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS: Collection is open to all researchers.

USE RESTRICTIONS: Restrictions may apply concerning the use, photoduplication, or publication of items in this collection. Consult a member of the archives staff for information concerning these restrictions. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright.

EXTENT: 1 volume

DATE:  1812-1820

SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Opequon Factory Records contains a minute book from 1812 to 1820 of the Opequon Woolen Mill in Frederick County, Virginia. The back pages of this book include the accounts from George Griffith’s Shoe Shop from March 12, 1904 to March 31, 1905.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Opequon Woolen Mill was established February 29, 1812 with nine men as shareholders: John Davenport, Lewis and John Hoff, John Clark, John McClure, James Curl, John Wright, George Reid, and Christopher Frye. The first director of the Opequon Manufacturing Company was John Clark. The last recorded meeting was December 20, 1820. Griffith's shoe shop was located at the Coburn & Company store in Piedmont, Mineral County, WV.

CITE AS: Opequon Factory Records, 804 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

ACQUISITION INFORMATION: Acquired as a gift.

ORGANIZATION:

BOX 1

Minute book – Opequon Woolen Mill, 1812-1820, 1 volume (unnumbered pages) ; 33 cm