Stewart Bell Jr. Archives
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17
Inventory created by Archives Staff 04/1986. Last revised 06/2020.
ACCESS RESTRICTIONS: Collection is open to all researchers.
USE RESTRICTIONS: Restrictions may apply concerning the use, duplication, or publication of items in this collection. Consult a member of the archives staff for information concerning these restrictions. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright.
EXTENT: 3 items
DATE: 1868 -1932
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains two deeds to the Old School Baptist Church in Winchester, VA. One deed is dated May 9, 1868 and is an agreement for the Old School Baptist Church congregation to use a stone church in the northeast part of Winchester for services once a month. The second deed is dated March 9, 1932 and reflects the purchase of the church lot on the east side of East Lane. There is also a copy of minutes from the School Board, dated August 12, 1875, concerning the lease between the Colored Baptist church and Winchester School Board for use of building as a school.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Old Stone Presbyterian Church, built in the late 1780s and located at the corner of East Piccadilly and East Lane, was conveyed to the Trustees of the Baptist Church in 1834. On November 2, 1858, the Trustees of the Baptist Church deeded the building to the Trustees for the Old School Baptists of Color $500.
In 1868, the Old School Baptist Church deeded the property to Nathan Brackett, trustee for the Free Will Baptist Church of Winchester. On May 31, 1875, an agreement was made with the Winchester School Board to use the building as a school for the black children of Winchester. In 1927 a new school for Winchester’s African American children, the Douglas School, opened on North Kent Street.
CITE AS: Old School Baptist Church Records, 551 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.
ACQUISITION INFORMATION: Deeds photocopied from court records by Archives staff.
MAPCASE 5, DRAWER 8
Deed—Old School Baptist Church, John Linn, Trustee, use of a stone church in the northeast part of Winchester, VA, one Sunday of each month, May 9, 1868, Winchester Deed Book 11, page 496, 2 leaves, manuscript (photocopy)
Deed—The Old School Congregational Baptist Church, church and lot, east side of East lane, March 9, 1932, Winchester Deed Book 52, page 86, 1 leaf, typescript (photocopy)
Copy of minutes from School Board concerning lease between the Colored Baptist Church and the Winchester School Board for use of building as a school; August 12, 1875, 3 leaves, typescript