Get Curated Reading Suggestions on Selected Topics Sent Right to Your Inbox.

WIlliam Eddy Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17

1508 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection contains two leather-bound accounts books. The first is dated from June 20, 1876 to March 1881 and the second, from August 1878 to June 1887. The nature of the Winchester, VA business is not clear.

(1 box) Last updated 09/04.

Biographical/Historical: William Newton Eddy was born in Frederick County, VA in 1830. He bought The Valley Mill (sometimes called Helm-Eddy House) from James M. Burgess in 1862. The mill was destroyed by federal troops in 1864 and later was rebuilt. About 1875, he moved into Winchester, VA, but still considered himself a miller for the 1880 census. Mr. Eddy’s two sons-in-law, Cunningham and McKindter, continued running the mill. Mr. Eddy died in 1888. In his will, he gave the Valley Mill to his wife.

Bibliography: Quarles, Garland. Some Old Homes in Frederick County, VA. Winchester, VA: Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1971, 1990, pp. 124-5.

Cite As: William Eddy Collection, 1508 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.


Box 1

Account Book – June 20, 1876-March 1881

Account Book – August 1878-June 1887