James Wood Family Papers

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17
archives@handleyregional.org
www.handleyregional.org

173 WFCHS

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the business papers of Col. James Wood, Sr. and some of his family. The papers are accounts, diaries, receipts and various memorabilia of the family for the period from 1736 to1868. Included are papers of the Frederick County, Virginia Clerk’s office for the period from 1743 to 1769. This is an item-level inventory prepared by Wilmer Kerns. (5 boxes) Last updated 09/12. DIGITIZED 03/07.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Col. James Wood, Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land “on the branches of the Opequon” from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. He built the first “Glen Burnie” in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford in 1738 with whom he had children (1) Elizabeth (b. 1739), (2) James, Jr. (b. 1741), (3) Mary (b. 1742), (4) John (b. 1743-44), and (5) Robert (b. 1747). He was a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Quarles, Garland R., Some Worthy Lives, Winchester, VA: Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1988, pgs. 250-4.

CITE AS: James Wood Family Papers, 173 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

ORGANIZATION:

Note: This collection is available on microfilm (Boxes 1-3 on reel M-1972.1; Box 4 on Reel M-1972.1A) in the microfilm file cabinet. Microfilm may be photocopied; originals may not. Records on microfilm may be in different order from this inventory of documents. All items in this collection are manuscript unless otherwise noted. Microfilm is not available on interlibrary loan.

BOX 1

Account Book/Journal of Colonel James Wood Journal – Typescript

The journal of Colonel Wood is a transcription of the account book of Colonel Wood. This 33-leaf typescript contains valuable information for historians and genealogists. Wood's book contains a variety of records, including memoranda, minutes, accounts, court business, and miscellaneous information. Many early settlers are named. Also of interest are the monetary values, both English and Spanish.

Account Book/Journal of Colonel James Wood, 1748-1757

The original, leather-bound account book of Colonel James Wood contains 42 manuscript pages (84 leaves). The external measurements of the book are 10½ x 15¼ cm. The book is too fragile for reproduction. This account book/journal contains valuable information for historians and genealogists. Wood's book contains a variety of records, including memoranda, minutes, accounts, court business, and miscellaneous information. Many early settlers are named. Also of interest are the monetary values, both English and Spanish.

James Wood Account Book Enclosures

Four manuscript pages were found in the pouch of Colonel Wood’s account book (same as Journal). These rare and valuable pages add to our understanding of the history of Old Frederick County.

Item 1: Lewis Neill certified that Samuel Littler killed a wolf, May 14, 1748. (16 X 8 cm)

Item 2: Letter to the Vestry of Frederick Parish from the Reverends John Gordon and William Mildrum, dated January 22, 1757.   (23 X 38 cm)