Mt. Carmel Baptist Church Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17

1715 THL 

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains news articles relating to the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church as well as directories of the church and its members.
(1 box) Last Updated: 10/2016 

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Mt. Carmel Baptist Church was originally organized in 1866 by Rev. Nathan Cook Brackett, the first pastor of the church. The initial meeting happened at 15th ½ South Loudoun Street however other meeting locations expanded to include the Frederick County Courthouse and the Presbyterian Church at East Piccadilly. The first official church site was located on the corner of Braddock and Leicester Street. The African-American congregation used the building on this lot from 1869-1890 until it was destroyed in a fire. A new church location and building were acquired and built June 17, 1916. The Mt. Carmel Baptist Church continues to grow and is still an active part of the Winchester/Frederick County area.   

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Taken from the collection. Other information gathered from “Historical Sketches of Places of Worship: Winchester and Frederick Co., VA,” by Clay B. Carr and Mildred L. Carr. 

CITE AS: Mt. Carmel Baptist Church Collection, 1715 THL, Stewart Bell, Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA. 


BOX 1 

Directory (2008)—1 book, 20 pages, printed 

Directory (no date)—1 book, 17 pages, printed 

News Articles—unnumbered leaves, printed 

Programs—folder contains the following:

  • “Celebrating The 150th Year, 1866-2016,” 1 program, 18 pages, printed 

SEE ALSO: 204 THL, Ellsworth Turner Collection, box 2