Jim Barnett Park Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17


Scope and Content: This collection includes organizational papers for the association to develop the War Memorial Building including financial and tax records, correspondence, committee reports, and plans beginning in 1945. Budget documents for the years 1969 through 1974, the Fast Pitch Softball Hall of Fame, and newspaper clippings are also part of this collection. (1 box) Last updated 03/14.

Biographical/Historical: Planning for a War Memorial began in 1945 with the incorporation of the Winchester-Frederick County War Memorial Association. Donations from corporations and individuals provided funds to purchase a lot on North Kent Street, which was sold in March 1956. Proceeds of the sale were applied to construction of the building in the City of Winchester Park (now called Jim Barnett Park).

Cite As: Jim Barnett Park Collection, 755 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.


Box 1

Fast Pitch Hall of Fame

McCormack Amphitheater—news article

Park Commission, City of Winchester, ordinance creating a park commission, Feb. 16, 1923, 1 item, printed

War Memorial Association—incorporation, by-laws, and dissolution, 1945-1974, 20 leaves, typescript; 9 leaves, manuscript/typescript on printed form; 1 leaf, typescript on printed form (photocopy)

War Memorial Association—directors and committee reports, 31 leaves, typescript; 7 leaves, manuscript; 1 leaf, manuscript on printed form

War Memorial Association—North Kent Street lot, 11 leaves, typescript; 2 leaves, blueprint

War Memorial Association—tax correspondence, 1945-1975, 11 leaves, typescript; 4 pages, printed

War Memorial Association—tax returns, 1963-1974, 16 items, manuscript on printed form

War Memorial Building Dedication Programs, November 11, 1956, 2 items, 2 pages (each), printed

War Memorial Building—plans and correspondence, 28 leaves, typescript; 2 items, printed

Newspaper clippings, 1945-1946, 8 leaves, printed (photocopy); 1 page, typescript

Winchester Parks and Recreation—budgets, 4 items, typescript

Reunions held annually in Park, no date, 3 leaves, typescript

Mapcase 3, Drawer 10

Study for development of Rouss Park, c. 1946, 2 items