Get Curated Reading Suggestions on Selected Topics Sent Right to Your Inbox.

Grace United Methodist Church Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041 ext. 17

697 THL

Inventory created by Archives Staff 08/1989. Last revised 02/2019.

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS: Collection is open to all researchers.

USE RESTRICTIONS: Restrictions may apply concerning the use, photoduplication, or publication of items in this collection. Consult a member of the archives staff for information concerning these restrictions. The user assumes all responsibility for identifying and satisfying any claimants of copyright.

EXTENT: 0.21 linear feet

DATE: 1899-1911

SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Grace United Methodist Church Records consists of an account book dated from 1899 to 1911.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL:  The Grace United Methodist church was at first called simply the Methodist Church. It was established in Middletown, Virginia in 1816. The original church was made with logs, but the congregation replaced this building in 1853 with a brick structure. During the Civil War, Federal troops used the building as a hospital and a stable. The divisions created by the Civil War spread among the churches and the church became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  In 1939, Methodist denominations and societies joined with United Brethren Church. In 1968, it became the United Methodist Church. The current church, Grace United Methodist Church, was built in 1898 and still has one of the last hand-played carillons in the Shenandoah Valley.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Carr, Clay B. Historical Sketches of Places of Worship, Winchester and Frederick County Virginia. Winchester, VA: Winchester Printers, Inc., 1988.

CITE AS: Grace United Methodist Church Records, 697 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.



BOX 1 

Account book of Middletown Methodist Church, 1899-1911, 1 volume (298 pages)  ; 30 cm

Loose accounting notes found in account book, 1899-1911, 14 leaves, manuscript,