Virtual Contests and Social Media Challenges begin with Handley Regional Library System for National Library Week
National Library Week (April 19-25, 2020) is a national observance sponsored by the American Library Association and libraries across the country each April to celebrate their value to the community. This year’s national theme is “Find the Library at Your Place”; Handley Regional Library System invites all community members to find the library at “their place” by visiting their website (www.handleyregional.org) to access virtual programs and valuable content in their 24-hour Digital Library. While the library’s physical spaces may be temporarily closed due to COVID-19, the public can discover eBooks, movies, research databases, online programs for kids and adults, and much more—all from the safety of their home. Additionally, daily challenges will be posted on the library system’s social media pages @handleyregional for two patrons to win a $25 gift card to the restaurant of their choice based on activities completed. Social media followers will also have the opportunity to tell what they enjoy about the library through videos or comments for a viral public relations campaign.
Helpful Links for National Library Week
- See the latest virtual programs for kids and teens here.
- Browse our videos of upcoming and past programs for all ages
- Digital Library Tutorial Videos
- Access the Digital Library
- Resources for Adults
- Sign-up for Next Reads (Recommended Reading) Newsletters
Daily Social Media Challenges
To be entered to win, social media followers can complete each activity as many times as they want each day and post in the comments. The more you enter the more chances you have to win. Two random challenge winners will be announced at the end of the April to win a $25 gift card to the local restaurant of their choice who allow gift cards to be purchased online or over the phone.
- Post Your Shelfie Sunday – Take a picture of you or your child’s at home library/stack of books. Tell us your favorite book and why!
- Magazine Monday – Borrow an RBdigital magazine and tell us which one you selected.
- Hoopla Tuesday – Borrow something new from Hoopla and tell us what you selected.
- Why do You Love HRLS Wednesday? Say hi to us in a quick video or post and answer the following: I love Handley Regional Library System because….
- Theatrical Thursday – Dress up you or your family/household as your favorite character, scene from a book and post a picture.
- Book Face Friday – Find a book with a face on the cover and take a photo with the face on the book covering your face and post a picture.
- Learn the Story Saturday – Use one of our history/genealogy databases and tell us about it!
In times of crisis, libraries respond to their community’s needs in innovative and inspiring ways. Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, libraries are continuing to make a difference.
“National Library Week looks very different for us this year,” says John Huddy, Director of Handley Regional Library System. “We are excited to be able to participate in the best way we know how – from sharing information and instructional materials in our Digital Library, offering online programs and live events, and so on. We invite everyone to help us acknowledge this week and how Handley Regional Library System serves the community.”