1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1KBb4K is a year-round library program that encourages all families and caregivers to read at least 1,000 books with their young children before they enter Kindergarten. Each Fall and Spring, we have a graduation ceremony to acknowledge the achievement of the graduates of the program. Come in to Bowman Library or Handley Library to sign up.
Winter Reading Challenge
Begin your New Year with a reading challenge for the entire family.
Pre-Readers Ages 0-5
Earn online badges, stickers and prizes as you count how many books you can read in a month! Log through the Beanstack app. And, choose to also keep track of your reading with paper logs.
Readers Ages 6 and Up
Earn online badges, stickers and prizes as you count how many minutes/hours you can read in a month! Log through the Beanstack app. And, choose to also keep track of your reading with paper logs.
Summer Reading Program
Valley Reads Summer Reading Program
Join us from June-August each year as we encourage all ages, from preschoolers to teens, to read during summer break.
Handley Regional Library System would like to thank the following sponsors for their support of the 2019 Summer Reading Program for kids and teens. They provided coupons, prizes, and/or financial support:
- Bank of Clarke County,
- Bonnie Blue,
- Brewbaker's Restaurant,
- Buffalo Wild Wings,
- Chinatown Restaurant,
- Clarke County Parks & Rec Department,
- Cork Street Tavern,
- Costco Wholesale,
- Dinosaur Land,
- El Centro,
- Espresso Bar and Café,
- Eugene B. Smith Art Gallery,
- Exotic Himalayan Handicrafts,
- Friends of the Handley Regional Library System,
- Handworks Gallery,
- Italian Delight,
- Knit 1 Purl 2,
- Museum of the Shenandoah Valley,
- Nerangis Enterprises,
- Old Town Stained Glass Studio,
- Old Town Winchester,
- Roma Old Town Pizzeria,
- Scarpa Alta,
- Shenandoah Summer Music Theater,
- Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum,
- Simply Charming,
- Snow White Grill,
- Southern States,
- Thai Winchester Restaurant,
- The German Table,
- The Total Image & Workingman's Store,
- Thinker Toys,
- Throx Market Station,
- Tin Top Handmade,
- United Bank,
- Village Square Restaurant,
- Violino Ristorante Italiano,
- Wilkin's Shoe Center,
- Winchester Book Gallery,
- Winchester Little Theatre,
- Winchester Royals Baseball Team, and
- Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.
This overall support encouraged 2,016 readers to participate in Summer Reading 2019: "It’s Showtime at Your Library!"
The 2020 theme will be "DIG DEEPER: READ, INVESTIGATE, DISCOVER". Plan now to join us!