Adult Reading Program
The Adult Summer Reading Program is for any adult ages 18 and above who have a library card (internet only cards are also eligible). If you don't have a card yet come on down to any of our locations and we can set you up.
What you need to know after you register:
· Keep a log of books that you read between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Reading Logs are provided at all Information Desks. (If you register online your first Reading Log will be emailed to you.)
· Receive a Book Buck* for each of the first 5 books read. (If you read less than five still turn in your first log to get Book Bucks for the books you have read.) For each additional Reading Log earn 2 Book Bucks!
· For every 5 books you read, fill out and return your Reading Log to an Information Desk to be entered into the drawing for prizes and to get your book bucks.
· Return completed Reading Logs by noon on September 3rd to be eligible for prize drawings.
· Watch our website and postings at our locations for additional information & special related adult programming.
· *What is A Book Buck? A Book Buck is equivalent to $1 to spend in our Summer and Fall 2019 Book Sale at Bowman Library put on by the Friends of the Library.
Each Reading Log is a chance to win one of these great prizes! Winners announced September 6th!
Dinner & a Show! Grand Prize
Season Pass for the 2020 Shenandoah Theater Summer Music Program ($200 value)
$50 Sweet Nola’s Gift Card
$50 Oak Stone Pizza Gift Card
Library Canvas Bag
Book Lover’s Bundle Prize Packages (3)
All Book Lover’s Bundles include:
Books made into movies
Tablet and Book Plush Pillow Holder
Set of Finger Point bookmarks
Library Canvas Bag
Bundle #1 Also Includes:
Book Nerd Mug
$25 Blue Plate Books Gift Card
Bundle #2 Also Includes:
Check out Card Mug (Red)
$25 Winchester Book Gallery Gift Card
Bundle #3 Also Includes:
$25 Books A Million Gift Card
Top Readers Prize (3)
The three participants who read the most books will receive: Library Swag Bag & $25 Extra Book Bucks
Come join us for our 2019 Book to Screen Outdoor Movie Series as part of our Adult Summer Reading Program, It’s Showtime at Your Library! There will be three outdoor movies, two at Bowman Library and one at Handley Library (the schedule is listed below). There will be food available for purchase provided by local food trucks. All movie events will be Rain or Shine and will move inside. Please bring blankets and lawn chairs to sit on outside.
June 28th 8:00 PM
Breakfast at Tiffany's (click for more info)
Our first movie will be Breakfast at Tiffany’s held at Bowman Library. Local food truck, Big Rig BBQ, will be on site selling food to attendees.
July 26th 8:00 PM
Silence of the Lambs (click for more info)
The second movie will be Silence of the Lambs held at Handley Library. Food will be available for sale by local vendor to be announced.
August 16th 8:00 PM
Stand By Me (click for more info)
Our last outdoor movie of the season at Bowman Library will be Stand by Me. Food will be available for sale by local vendor to be announced.
Adult Summer Reading Titles
SeabiscuitView Catalog Entry
The author retraces the amazing journey of Seabiscuit, a horse with crooked legs and a pathetic tail that nevertheless made racing history in 1938, thanks to the efforts of a trainer, an owner, and a jockey who transformed a bottom-level racehorse into a legend. 75,000 first printing.
Friday Night LightsView Catalog Entry
The 25th anniversary edition of the #1 New York Times bestseller and Sports Illustrated’s best football book of all time, with a new afterword by the author Return once again to the timeless account of the Permian Panthers of Odessa--the winningest High School football team in Texas history. Socially and racially divided, Odessa isn’t known to be a place big on dreams, but every Friday night from September to December, when the Panthers play football, dreams can come true. MO-JO! MO-JO!