Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
Opequon Presbyterian Church Collection, 295 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: The Opequon Presbyterian Church collection contains papers, speeches, bulletins, correspondence, histories, and news articles concerning the church. The original Opequon congregation began meeting in a log house in 1736 on land donated by William Hoge. It was located west of Kernstown, VA and was under the oversight of Donegal (PA) Presbytery. It continues as an active church today in Winchester, VA, USA. (1 box) Last updated 11/04.
Biographical/Historical: The first settled minister of Opequon Presbyterian Church was John Hoge who took over in 1755. As the congregation grew, new structures were built. By 1790, two log buildings had been built and torn down to be replaced by a larger stone building. The congregation remained relatively small through the 1800s. The church suffered severe damage during the Civil War as Union troops tore out the floor and woodworking for firewood and used the building as a stable. The cemetery was also desecrated at this time. No services were conducted from 1863 to 1866. In 1873, the small congregation had nearly finished all the repair work when a fire burned the structure to the ground. For the next 24 years, the congregation met at Kernstown Methodist and Mennonite churches. In 1877, the present stone church was built. An educational facility was added in 1956. In 1986, this church celebrated its 250th anniversary as a continuous congregation.
Cite As: Opequon Presbyterian Church Collection, 295 THL/WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.
Bicentennial Commission—gift to Ireland
Building fund campaign, 1954, includes an historic paper read by Dr. H. M. White at the dedication of Opequon Church, October 30, 1897, 3 books, printed
Church bulletins, 2 items:
installation and ordination of Robert C. Bradford, Jr., July 9, 1950
250th anniversary banquet, October 5, 1986, includes list of pastors
Correspondence - letter to Mildred Hook from R. B. Woodworth, 1937, 2 leaves
"Historic Opequon Church," by Lennart Pearson, August 7, 1964, 1 item, typescript, photocopy
Historic paper prepared by Reverend Henry M. White, October 30, 1897, at dedication of the new church, 6 items, typescript
Historic paper prepared by Robert Bradford, Jr., October l3, 1961, 9 leaves, typescript
"(The) History of Winchester Presbytery," 1936, 21 pages, printed
"Old Burying Grounds of Opequon Church, 1736-1938," by G. Langdon Gordon, booklet published in 1996, 1 item, typescript
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form – Opequon Presbyterian Church, Aug. 30, 2000, prepared by Helen Lee Fletcher and C. Langdon Gordon, 18 leaves, typescript (photocopy)
Newspaper articles, 3 items, typescript, photocopy
Organization of Opequon Church by R. B. Woodworth, April 8, 1936
Sketch of the Historic Opequon Presbyterian Church, Winchester, VA, by C. Langdon Gordon, 1984, 2 items, 2 printed booklets