Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041, fax (540) 722-4769
A-B C-D E-G H-K L-M N-Q R-S T-Z
Index to Inventories T U V W X Y Z
Tabb, George E. Jr. Collection, 1153
Scope and Content: This collection consists of letter books (1863) kept by Col. William Banksdale Tabb, Commander, 59th VA Inf. Reg., CSA and "The Complete Journal of Emily (Emma) Miller Tabb," July 15, 1899 to April 9, 1900. The letter books were transcribed and indexed. The journal were transcribed and edited by George E. Tabb, Jr.
(1 box) Last updated 2/04.
Tailor’s Account Book,
This collection contains an account book kept by an unidentified tailor of Winchester, Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Hotel Collection, 1145 THL,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains news articles from 1859 to the present concerning the historic Taylor Hotel in Winchester, Virginia. Articles will cover the many uses of this building and its renovation..
(1 box) Last updated 09/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Located at 129 North Loudoun Street, the first hotel located at the site was opened by Edward McGuire in 1755. After McGuire’s death, the property was sold to Bushrod Taylor who constructed the Taylor Hotel, which opened its doors for business around 1836 and closed in 1911 when it was sold to the J. G. McCrory Company. They operated a dime store, and a movie theater there until 1995. Since then variety of businesses, none of which lasted long, have operated on the site. After sitting vacant for several years, the building’s roof collapsed in 2007. Several organizations have united with plans for the building’s renovation, but funding has been slow. In its hay-day during the mid-19th Century, the Taylor Hotel was considered the finest hotel in the area, and among its guests were Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Stephen A. Douglas, Stonewall Jackson, and several Union generals.
Teen Age Club (TAC)
Collection, 1675 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the scrapbook of the TAC (Teen Age Club) of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia. The scrapbook has a variety of pictures, newspaper articles, letters, and memorabilia from the club dating from the late 1950s to the late 1960s.
(1 box) Last updated 08/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Teen Age Club was founded in 1958 in conjunction with the newly completed War Memorial Building at Jim Barnett Park. The club offered a variety of social activities for Winchester and Frederick County teenagers. It was know as the TAC Club.
Thorne, Charles Collection, 1537
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of two books designed and written by graphics artist Charles R. Thorne of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: Charles Thorne is a resident of Winchester, VA.
Collection, 1579 THL,
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogical material pertaining to the Thrasher, Kerby, and Lines families. The material covers from 1710 to 1957 and was compiled by Joel Thrasher, c. 2000. The material was printed from a Family Tree Maker file.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: Richard Thrasher was born about 1710 in Sussex, England, and died in 1768 in Frederick County, VA.
Tire Fire Collection, 1362 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains copies of the numerous reports, test results, recommendations, and actions taken to contain and modify the pollution engendered by the Rhinehart Tire Fire. The collection contains administrative record files, endangerment assessment, remedial investigation report, community relations plan, and news clippings.
(2 boxes) Last updated 11/05.
Biographical/Historical: On October 31, 1983, a fire began in a dump owned by Mr. Paul Rhinehart in Winchester, VA. The dump contained 5 million or more tires and the resultant smoke and tire combustion caused considerable air pollution and threatened a major pollution of nearby streams, which ultimately fed into the Potomac River, the Washington, D.C. water supply. It took several years for the Environmental Protection Agency to satisfactorily resolve the problem by containing the fire run-off and neutralizing the toxicity.
Tischler, Allan Collection, 208
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains extensive information about the American Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Diaries, maps, corps information of both of the CSA and the USA, African Americans in the war, photographs and microfilm are included. Many of the records are categorized by state and military leader. Included are news articles about the war in general, the Valley Campaign of 1864, and certain battles. Drafts of Mr. Tischler’s book, The History of the Harper’s Ferry Expedition…, are part of this collection.
(13 boxes) Last updated 10/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Allan L. Tischler is a resident of Winchester, VA, and active in American Civil War research. Author of The History of the Harpers Ferry Expedition--September 14-15, 1862, published in 1993, he continues writing on Civil War battles and events in the Valley.
Ralph Collection, 297 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains an article by Ralph Triplett about Bee Tree Cuts, a book on Hampshire County, WV cemeteries, and a book on the Back Creek Valley of Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 03/11
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Ralph Triplett (1898-1844) was a long-time resident of Frederick County, VA, and the author of several books on genealogy, including Cemeteries of Hampshire County, W. Va., Early Births, Western Frederick County, Virginia, Eastern Hampshire County, West Virginia (with Grace Kelso), Early Marriages, Western Frederick County, Virginia, Eastern Hampshire County, West Virginia (with Grace Kelso), Frederick County Historical Series: A History of Upper Back Creek Valley, and Frederick County Virginia Obituaries. All of these books are available in the Stewart Bell, Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library. Triplett died in Gore, VA on May 24, 1984 and is buried Bethel Cemetery in Gore.
of Virginia Regional Chamber Records, 516 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains information relating to the Top of Virginia Regional Chamber, including promotional literature, annual reports, calendars, membership rosters, business information, and the Chamber’s history. The chamber also prints a newsletter and many of the issues are in the collection. The Top of Virginia Regional Chamber includes Winchester, Frederick County, and Clarke County, Virginia.
(6 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester-Frederick County Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1917 to promote businesses and prosperity in Winchester and Frederick County, VA. In 2007, the chamber added Clarke County, VA and changed its name to the Top of Virginia Regional Chamber. For nearly 100 years, the chamber has worked with city and county governments, local businesses, schools, and health and safety facilities to promote Winchester, Frederick County (and Clarke County since 2007), VA to the United States and around the world.
Trout, Issac and Jacob Papers, 1212 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains business and personal correspondence (1825-1869), ledgers (1821-1872), demand notes (1831-1860), and an indenture (1823) concerning the Trout Family of Front Royal, VA. Also included is a paper entitled, "Issac and Jacob Trout Papers" (1992) by Connie Conte and other miscellaneous papers.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Issac (b. 1790) and Jacob (b. 1792) were two of nine children born to Philip Trout, a wheelwright in Front Royal, VA. When Philip Trout died in 1812, Issac and Jacob ran the factory on Chester Street. In 1830, Issac married Araminta Pagett and had six children, four of whom died in infancy. The brothers had a successful wagon building business, which received orders from as far away as Florida. Issac died in 1873 at the age of 83 and Jacob died in 1853 at
Trussel, Elizabeth Lucas Sheetz Little Collection, 1001 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes application forms for the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution, as well as genealogical information on the Osbourne, Mackenzie/McKinny, Rush, Lucas, and Koontz/Coontz/Cooch families.
(1 box) Last updated 01/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Elizabeth S. Lucas Sheetz Little Trussell was born September 1, 1911 at Elmwood Farm in Shepherdstown, WV, and was daughter of Rion and Cora Osbourn Lucas. She taught in Frederick County, and then worked as a clerk for the Frederick County School Board for 40 years, retiring in 1974. She was married to Harold C. Sheetz Jr. (d. 1974), Henry M. Little (d. 1984), and Robert L. Trussell (d. 1989). She died on June 6, 2010 at the age of 98.
Tucker, Henry St. George Family Collection, 1477 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains copies of speeches given by Henry St. George Tucker III and John Randolph Tucker, two prominent members of Virginia and Maryland governments. (1 box) Last updated 04/12.
Biographical/Historical: Henry St. George Tucker III was born in Winchester, VA on April 5, 1853 to John Randolph Tucker and Laura Holmes Powell. He attended school in Richmond and Middleburg, VA. He graduated from Washington & Lee Law School in 1876 and started his law practice in Staunton, VA. In 1889, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives (1889-1897). From 1897-1902, he was a professor of constitutional law at Washington & Lee and then became dean of the law school at Columbia University, now George Washington University. Tucker returned as a Member of the House of Representatives and remained there until his death on July 23, 1932. He is buried in the Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Lexington, VA. Tucker married Henrietta Preston Johnston on Oct. 25, 1877 and had seven children.
Turner Ashby Camp #22 of
Confederate Veterans Papers, 302 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the records of the Turner Ashby Camp #22 of Confederate Veterans of Winchester, VA. The records cover every facet of the group’s operations including membership rolls at the local and national levels; correspondence; orders; reports; list of companies from Frederick County, VA; minutes; rosters; membership applications; Roll of the Dead (1893-1902); and other miscellaneous papers.
The papers also include extensive primary source material from the court-martial of Pvt. James Miller, 12th Virginia Cavalry who was executed for shooting his company commander, Captain Henderson in 1861. (16 boxes) Last updated 08/11. Digitized April 16, 2007.
Turner Ashby Camp Guard Records, 1604
Scope and Content: This collection contains three applications to the Turner Ashby Camp Guard, an attendance roll from 1899, Treasurer’s Report for Nov. 1895 to May 1896, and a committee on uniform report from April 20, 1896.
(1 box) Last updated 05/06.
Biographical/Historical: The Turner Ashby Camp Guard was an organization for the Sons of Confederate veterans. It did not last long.
Turner Ashby Society Collection,
Scope and Content: The Turner Ashby Society Collection contains the society’s newsletters published in Richmond, VV. The Tom Telegraph covers the years 1996-2003.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Turner Ashby Society was incorporated in the fall of 1996 to study the life of Turner Ashby. The organization dissolved on December 31, 2003.
Turner, Ellsworth Collection, 204
Scope and Content: This collection contains material relating to local black history including articles, news clippings and photos. Most of the information pertains to the 20th Century; however, some dates back to the Civil War. The material is divided in half with the first part being biographical sketches of 34 people and the second half, information on organizations, schools, churches, and other establishments of the local black community. (3 boxes) Last updated 05/2011.
Biographical/Historical: Ellsworth Turner was a Winchester, Virginia resident, who compiled the information for this collection.
2020 Vision Project Records, 1235 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains reports from the various committees, which made up the 2020 Vision Project of Winchester and Frederick County, VA. Among these reports is the final report of the project.
(1 box) Last updated 10/08.
Biographical/Historical: In 1989, the Winchester City and the Frederick County Board of Supervisors appointed over 150 citizens to help with the 2020 Vision Project. The goal of this project was to make recommendations to allow the community to grow and maintain its high quality of life. Fifteen different economic and social areas were studied over a 2-year period.
Tylor, Dola S. Collection,
63 WFCHS (1781-1931)
Scope and Content: This collection contains indexes and associated lists of births, deaths, and wills recorded from the original Winchester City court records. Also included are genealogical materials on Frederick County families, muster rolls and questionnaires of Civil War regiments, and other miscellaneous materials including marriages from the "Journal of Dr. Alexander Balmain."
(3 boxes) Last updated 04/07.
Biographical/Historical: Dola S. Tylor was born in the Swiss Colony of Gruetli, TN in 1915. She graduated from the University of Tennessee with a degree in Accounting. In 1977, she retired from the U.S. Army Communications Command-Japan and moved to Virginia when her husband transferred to the Middle East Division, Corps of Engineers in Winchester, VA. She has been a volunteer in the Handley Regional Library (now Stewart Bell Jr.) Archives since 1979.
Tyson, Richard Family
Bible, 1078 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the Richard Tyson Family Bible, which includes marriages, births and deaths of the Tyson family from 1860 to 1920.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: Richard L. Tyson was born to Sherrod and Elizabeth Tyson on March 22, 1835. Tyson married Margaret L. [Turngge] on January 12, 1860, and had at least two children.
Return to top
Union Mills Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection consists of a receipt book, 1812-1818, belonging to Nathan Parkins, owner of Union Mills in Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 06/04.
Biographical/Historical: From 1836 to 1874, the Parkins family operated multiple flour mills on Abram’s Creek. In 1812 they were running three mills south of Winchester under the name "The Union Mills, Nathan Parkins & Co. Owners."
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Turner Ashby
Camp #54 Collection1325 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains records of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (U.D.C.), Turner Ashby Chapter #184, Winchester, VA. It includes copies of applications for membership in the local U.D.C. These applications contain sources for researchers of the Civil War and genealogy. Minute books from 1891-1904, 1909-1920, 1926-1962, 1965-1974, 1987-1989, 1993-1996 are in the collection. Various articles and news clippings covering Confederate veterans’ events in Virginia and other southern states are also included.
(11 boxes) Last updated 06/12. DIGITIZED 04/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Turner Ashby Chapter #184, UDC is one of the nine chapters of the Virginia Division, which were chartered on November 11, 1897. Prior to that, a group known as "Ladies’ Stonewall Memorial Association" was formed in 1865. Their purpose was to prepare a suitable burial place for all Confederate soldiers who have been buried in scattered locations in the Winchester area. The forerunner of the Turner Ashby Chapter was first organized in 1894 under the leadership of Miss Kate Conrad as an auxiliary to Turner Ashby Camp, Confederate veterans. At this time, members began to assist with the annual June 6th Confederate Memorial Day ceremony.
The Turner Ashby Chapter was originally referred to as Chapter #54, Virginia Division. In 1997, the designation #184 was put into use.
Fellows Lodge #1461 Records, 554 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains three deeds concerning the acquisition of land in 1890, the lien on the property in 1891, and the sale of the property in 1914, belonging to the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows. Last updated 02/2011.
Biographical/Historical: The United Odd Fellows Lodge purchased property at 112 East Clifford Street in Winchester, VA in 1890. A building was built the following year to serve as their meeting hall. In 1914, they moved to a new Winchester location at 37 East Boscawen Street.
Return to top
Valley Female College
Records, 319 THL/WFCHS
The Valley Female College Records collection contains minutes of stockholders meetings from 1878-1881, newspaper articles from 1884 to 1886, commencement programs from 1882 to 1887, and loose papers from the stockholders minute book. The Valley Female College was in operation from 1872 to 1901 and was located in the Angerona building on Piccadilly St., Winchester, VA; then, it was moved to Fort Loudon in 1886.
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Valley Female Institute
Collection, 211 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains materials concerning the Valley Female Institute located in Winchester, Virginia from 1854 to 1860. In 1858 the Virginia General Assembly passed an act allowing the institute to grant degrees. Mr. S.P. York and Mr. G. LaMonte were principals. The school was under Methodist sponsorship. (1 box) Last updated 05/2011.
Biographical/Historical: The building, which was originally the second Methodist Church built in Winchester, is still standing at 112 South Cameron Street. It currently houses law offices.
Valley News Echo Collection, 930
Scope and Content: This collection contains 51 issues of The Valley News Echo from vol. 1, no. 1 through vol. 6, no. 4 (April 1865), the final issue
(1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Valley News Echo was a monthly newspaper published by Potomac Edison to commemorate the centennial of the War Between the States. It includes reprints of contemporary accounts of the Civil War. The Valley News Echo was published from October 1959 to April 1965.
Valleys of History Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection consists of volumes 1 (1965) through 7 (1971) of the Valleys of History magazine, which was produced by Potomac Edison. The magazine features articles about local historical figures and places.
(1 box) Last updated 08/03.
Biographical/Historical: Valleys of History magazine was published quarterly by the Potomac Edison Electric Company. The articles pertain to the history and culture of the Potomac and Shenandoah Valleys.
Vance Family Association Collection, 1214 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of membership lists, newsletters, descendancy charts, and family trees concerning the Vance family.
(1 box) Last updated 03/2010.
Biographical/Historical: The Vance Family Association is a genealogical group comprised of Vance family members who compile information on the Vance family.
Veach, Larry Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogical materials on the Amick, Braithwaite, Cocke, Strother, Hiett, and Veach families. Also included are lists of ministers in Frederick County before 1850 and West Virginia (once Frederick County) post offices. (1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Larry Veach compiled and donated this collection. He is a minister in Winchester, VA, and served as a volunteer with the Handley Library Archives from 1987 to 1996.
Videotape Collection, 1306 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains videotapes of community events and local cable programs in Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, USA.
(4 boxes) Last updated 04/2008.
Viens, Donald L. Collection, 1685 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains many items on Revolutionary War reenacting as well as information on muzzle-loading rifles.
(1 box) Last updated 12/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Donald L. Viens was a Winchester-Frederick County native and an avid reenactor.
Collection, 1342 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of news clippings, correspondence, and some service notes made by men and women of the Winchester-Frederick Co., Virginia area, who served in the Vietnam War.
(1 box) Last updated 08/12
Biographical/Historical: The Vietnam War was a conflict between North and South Vietnam from 1955-1975. The U.S. entered this conflict as an unsuccessful attempt to keep Communist North Vietnam from invading South Vietnam. In 1969, President Nixon withdrew the more than 540,000 U.S. military personnel from Vietnam. The South Vietnamese government was established and the country was officially united as the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
Virginia Department of Historic Resources Collection, 1547 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains 13 reports on archaeology and architectural history of various sites in Frederick and Clarke Counties, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Cite As: Virginia Department of Historic Resources Collection, 1547 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.
Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County Records, 819 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a variety of items from the Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County, VA including news articles, correspondence, and announcements and press releases. Most items cover the 1960s, but there are several items from the 1970s to the 1990s.
(1 box) Last updated 07/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County was a fund raising organization that helped educate and raise awareness of heart disease and the proper steps to prevent it. It existed from the late 1950s to the early 1990s.
Highways and Transportation Research Council Collection, 1006 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of booklets containing articles about historic roads in Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 12/03.
Biographical/Historical: In 1992, the Virginia (VA) Highways and Transportation Research Council was sponsored jointly by the VA Department of Highways and Transportation and the University of VA. This council studied the history of road and bridge building technology in VA. The result of this project is a series of booklets covering historic roads throughout Virginia.
Virginia Historic Landmark Commission Records, 1350 WFCHS
Scope and Content: The Virginia Historic Landmark Commission Records is a collection of surveys performed in Frederick County, VA. These surveys evaluated the architectural and historic significance of each chosen landmark.
(3 boxes) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Virginia Historic Landmark survey was first created in the early 1930s by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society; but it was not until 1988 that Maral Kalbian undertook the actual survey of 1,900 sites in Frederick Co., VA. The project took 5 years and cost over $100,000 to complete. This was the first comprehensive historic landmark survey (of structures 50 years old and older) ever performed in Frederick Co., VA. Web site: www.dhr.virginia.gov/
Virginia War History Commission—Winchester Branch Records, 586 THL
This collection contains source material for researchers of World War I veterans of Winchester and Frederick County, VA. Included are forms, letters, etc., which were used by the Virginia War Commission after World War I to acquire information concerning returning veterans of that war. Also included are write-ups on local individuals who served in World War I. (1 box) Last updated 05/03.
Virginia Valley Mills Records,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains an account book used by Virginia Valley Mills from 1866-1886. Articles from the local newspaper are pasted on two-thirds of the pages, creating a scrapbook that recorded local events, as well as a wealth of genealogical information, from the early 20th Century to around 1940.
(1 box) Last updated 01/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Virginia Valley Mills was owned by James Swartz and his wife Mariah, and was operated by their son Newton until 1886 when the business was sold to Festus Hahn. Newton Swartz was married to Rebecca Barr and they had four children together.
Virginia Woolen Mill Company Records, 1119 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This extensive collection contains company records for mills that eventually became part of Virginia Woolen Mills, including Crawford, Dunn, Martinsburg Worsted and Cassimere, and Berkeley. Records for Varel, a finishing plant for Berkeley and Virginia built in 1946, are included. A major portion of the collection deals with labor negotiations and land acquisitions. Included is a portion of an 1883 map of Jefferson Co., WV farms. Newsletters, scrapbooks, blueprints, and photos are also part of this collection. The collection includes material used in the preparation of Weaving a Common Thread - A History of the Woolen Industry in the Top of the Shenandoah Valley, by Wilbur S. Johnston, published by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1990, available in the Archives Reading Room, 975.5991 Joh. The buildings were located at 117-119 East Lane and were demolished in.1999. It is now the site of the Timbrook Safety Center.
(5 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Virginia Woolen Mill was in operation from 1900 to 1958. William H. Crawford established Crawford Woolen Company ca. 1891. He bought several mills in West Virginia. Virginia Woolen Mills, organized by William H. Crawford, began operations in Winchester in 1900. It merged with Berkeley Woolen Mills in 1948. Berkeley emerged after Crawford went bankrupt in 1912-1914. By 1912, Crawford had acquired Jobe, Martinsburg Worsted, and Cassimere, all managed by Thomas L. Dunn. When Crawford died in 1914, Dunn became the sole owner of Crawford Mills assets, and the stock remained in the Dunn family until the mill closed in 1953.
Return to top
W & D Records, 408 WFCHS
This collection consists of an account book kept by W & D of Frederick County, Virginia, between 1845 and 1847. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Wagon Maker’s Account Book,
see John W. Grove and George A. Grove Wagonmaker's Account Book 1821-1833.
Papers, 1355 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes degrees awarded to Asa Wall from the University of Virginia, West Virginia State Board of Health, and the University of Pennsylvania.
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Asa Wall (1836-1906) was a surgeon for both the U. S. Army (prior to the Civil War) and the Confederate Army. Dr. Wall was a resident of Winchester, VA and a member of the Turner Ashby Camp, UCV. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery.
Wallace, Lee A. Jr. Papers, 1351 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains the bibliography of Lee A. Wallace, Jr.’s book, Fifth Virginia Infantry, the introduction to the roster lists, and the roster list notes. Also included are the roster lists.
(2 boxes) Last updated 06/09.
Biographical/Historical: Lee A. Wallace, Jr. received a B.A. from William and Mary College and an M.A. from the University of North Carolina. He spent several years in the military with the 30th Infantry Division, during World War II, and the VA National Guard. He wrote several books about the Civil War and the American Revolution including First Virginia Infantry, Fifth Virginia Infantry, and A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865 for the Virginia Regimental Histories Series. He was a charter member of The Company of Military Historians. Wallace died 1997.
Washington, George Collection, 839
Scope and Content: This collection contains articles and personal papers concerning George Washington and his association with the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA.
(1 box) Last updated 11/04.
Biographical/Historical: George Washington was born in 1732 in Westmoreland County, VA. He was privately educated, mainly by his half brother Lawrence. In 1748, he came to Winchester, VA as a member of a survey party for Lord Fairfax. A year later he was authorized by the College of William and Mary to go into business as a surveyor. From 1749 to 1752, he was a surveyor for Lord Fairfax. In 1755, he was appointed Colonel of the Virginia Regiment. While in Winchester, Washington planned and began building Fort Loudoun, which was never completed. In 1758, he was elected to the House of Burgesses and remained in office until 1765. In 1774 and 1775, he served as delegate to the First and Second Continental Congresses, respectively. During the American Revolution, 1775-1783, Washington served as the Commander of the Continental Army. In 1789, he was elected the first President of the United States of America. Washington married Martha Dandridge in 1759. In 1797, Washington retired to Mount Vernon and then died on December 14, 1799.
Wayland, John Walter Papers, 26
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, notes, and articles compiled and written by John Walter Wayland. Included are a number of abstracts of area county court records and four volumes on area graveyards.
(12 boxes) Last updated 01/2010.
Biographical/Historical: Dr. John Walter Wayland was born on Dec. 8, 1872 to John Wesley and Anna Kagey Wayland in Shenandoah County, Virginia. From 1890 to 1893, he was a teacher in the public schools. He received a B.S. degree from Bridgewater College in Virginia and a Ph.D. in history from the University of Virginia in 1907. From 1899 to 1931, he taught at several institutions including the University of Virginia and Madison College in VA, now known as James Madison University. In 1931, Wayland retired to do more writing and research. During his life he wrote over 40 books and hundreds of articles concerning Virginia history. His major focus was the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Wayland died in 1962.
Theatre Records, 1707 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains flyers, brochures, news articles, play lists and many other items associated with the Wayside Theatre in Middletown, VA. The collection also includes 14 scrapbooks covering activities at the theater from 1964-1978.
(1 box) Last updated 02/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Wayside Theatre, which was originally known as the Maralarrick Players, was founded in 1962. A year later, the company was bought by Washington, D.C. financier Leo Bernstein who changed the name to Wayside Theatre.. Many famous actors have performed on stage at the theater, including Susan Sarandon, Stacey Keach, Peter Boyle, and Kathy Bates.
Whiting, Henry Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Henry Whiting Collection contains articles, biographies, genealogies, a diary, military papers, and other miscellaneous materials concerning people and events of Virginia and Winchester history. It also contains genealogical information on the Whiting family, and Helen Whiting, Henry’s mother. She worked with the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society during the 1940’s -1970s, and as a member of the Handley Regional Library Board during the 1960s.The collection also contains a great of data on the creation of the Abram’s Delight Museum and its furnishings.
(2 boxes) Last updated 05/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Henry Whiting was born on July 20, 1923 in Aurora, Colorado, the son of Lt. Col. Edgar Whiting and Helen Whiting. The family moved to Winchester following Lt. Col. Whiting’s retirement from the army. In World War II, Henry Whiting served under family friend General George S. Patton. He obtained a law degree from the University of Virginia. He rose steadily in the profession, eventually being named a Virginia Supreme Court Justice in 1987. He retired in 1995.
Whitt, Samuel Collection, 1196 THL
Scope and Content: The collection contains Confederate money from Corporation of Winchester and Bank of the Valley in Virginia and promotional cards for businesses Heiston, Witt and Son, J.M. Orndoff, Shenandoah Valley National Bank, and J.W. Rosenberger. Wood family receipts from 1803 to 1830 and two 1858 sheriff notices to pay for Red Fox Scalps are included. Also included from Winchester, VA are a 1937 color picture news newsletter from Pete’s Service Center and four receipts from the early 1800s.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Wilkins, James R. Collection, 629 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains ledgers and account books for the Miller Dry Goods Store of Winchester, VA, from 1799 to 1862. Also included is correspondence from Richard Tuck Wilkins, 20th Regiment Infantry, CSA, and from the University of Virginia where he attended and taught in the 1880s. The collection also contains the Gilmer Confederate Engineers’ Maps and genealogical information on the Tuck Family.
(1 box) Last updated 02/2011.
Biographical/Historical: James R. Wilkins, Sr., descendant of the two Virginia families Luck and Wilkins, was the author of two books. Pioneers and Patriots is about the Wilkins family and the founding of Jamestown. The Impossible Task is a history of Shenandoah University, which Wilkins helped bring to Winchester, VA. Wilkins was a businessman in Winchester and active in civic affairs until his death in 1996.
Willey, Sydney R. Collection, 1640 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the Gardner Family Tree, which dates from 1838-2009 as well as genealogical information on the Braithwaite (1630-1967), and Wiley (1781-1996) families. It was compiled by Sydney R. Willey, January 28, 2007.
(1 box) Last updated 01/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Sydney R. Willey is a life-long resident of Winchester, VA
Williams, Philip Family Papers, 172
Scope and Content: This collection contains personal correspondence of Philip Williams written from 1817 to 1898. It also contains correspondence to John J. Williams, personal correspondence of Philip Williams III, and miscellaneous papers such as receipts, school papers, and brochures concerning the Williams family. Also included are materials concerning the Civil War units 114th Regiment, 18th Reg. Connecticut Volunteers, and Winchester Light Infantry. (4 boxes) Last updated 9/2010.
Biographical/Historical: Philip Williams II was born on Sept. 15, 1802 in Woodstock, VA to Philip Williams I and Sarah Croudson. Williams left school when he was 15 and worked as a deputy clerk for his father who was Clerk of the County of Shenandoah. Later he studied law in Richmond and was admitted to the bar in 1823. Eventually, he became the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Shenandoah County, VA, and in 1831 became its representative in the Virginia House of Delegates. On February 9, 1826, Williams married Anne Mauzy Hite, daughter of Major Isaac Hite of Belle Grove, who died on March 21, 1833. They had two children. In 1834, Williams moved to Winchester, VA and married Mary Louise Lillis Dunbar, daughter of Dr. Robert Dunbar of Winchester. They had nine children. Williams successfully practiced law as a partner to David W. Barton and was the first president of the Shenandoah Valley Bank. He was a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Philip Williams II died from a stroke on April 2, 1868, in the middle of a trial. He is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.
WINC Collection, 1616 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of histories, scrapbooks, news clippings, miscellaneous materials, and editorials from the WINC-AM/FM radio station from 1941 to the present. The editorials cover 1982 to 1989 and deal with national and local events and issues. The histories, several of which were written by Phil Whitney, cover many of the stations and personalities associated with the company from its beginnings to the present.
(2 boxes) Last updated 10/10.
Biographical/Historical: On June 15, 1941, WINC radio began broadcasting under the ownership of Richard F. Lewis. The only station between Hagerstown, MD and Harrisonburg, VA, WINC is located on the eastern edge of Winchester, VA. In 1946, Lewis added a second facility, which became the first licensed FM station serving the Winchester, Frederick County area. It was located on top of a mountain outside of Winchester. The station’s call letters were originally WRFL; then it was changed to WAUS; and in 1982 became WINC. Phil Whitney started at WINC in 1941 as engineer, broadcaster, and manager, and was general manager from 1941 to 1979. Thirteen miles away, Whitney built the first remote control unit to run the station’s transmitter. WINC-FM still serves as a Winchester FM station.
Winchester Area Branch, NAACP, 1697 THL, see NAACP, Winchester Area Branch
Winchester City Records, 519
Scope and Content: This collection contains records for the city of Winchester, VA including city codes and information pertaining to the various departments for the city (fire, finance, personnel, planning and zoning, police, public utilities, and public works). The collection also includes maps of the city, blueprints for Rouss City Hall, and tax and local books for the years 1870-1910. Most of the information is dated during the 1900s. The city of Winchester personnel office is the official repository for city council minutes.
(39 boxes) Last updated 11/2012.
Biographical/Historical: Winchester was founded in 1744 and is the oldest city west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. In 1874, Winchester was chartered as an ‘independent city."
Winchester City School Records,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes material regarding the Winchester, Virginia (USA) school system and individual schools with the city limits, covering 1871 to the present. The collection includes minutes, reports, publicity, and newsletters.
(31 boxes) Last updated 07/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The minutes of the school board meetings relate the history and growth of Winchester City Schools. In 1919, when Winchester became a separate district Frederick E. Clerk was hired as the first superintendent.
Winchester-Clarke Garden Club Collection, 1454 THL,
Scope and Content: This collection contains minutes and other records of the Winchester-Clarke Garden Club (Winchester and Clarke County, VA), as well as the Garden Club of Virginia and the Garden Club of America (1950-present). Also included are tour booklets for Historic Garden Week in Virginia from 1948 to present, with some years missing.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/12.
Biographical/Historical: The club was formed in 1924 through the efforts of Miss Bessie Conrad. In 1928, the club was invited to join the Garden Club of America, and it participated in the first Historic Garden Week in Virginia.
Winchester Council of Garden
Clubs Records, 637 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains one newspaper clipping from 1948 announcing a council flower show, minutes, and related papers from 1954 through the 1990s. Also included are scrapbooks of flower shows. (2 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
Biographical/Historical: Four garden clubs in the Winchester, VA area were holding joint flower shows by 1948. By 1952, the groups were working together as the Federation of Garden Clubs on beautification projects including the gardens at Abram’s Delight.
Winchester, England Collection, 1224 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of news articles, speeches, souvenir guides, educational material, correspondence, and other miscellaneous materials concerning Winchester, England, sister city to Winchester, VA, USA. (2 boxes) Last updated 08/11
Biographical/Historical: Winchester, England is the sister city of Winchester, VA, USA. It lies southwest of London in the county of Hampshire. The town has existed since 450 B.C. During the Saxon rule, Winchester was the capital of England. William the Conqueror built a palace and castle here in 1066. It is the birthplace of the Domesday Book, the trial spot of Sir Walter Raleigh, and the death place of Jane Austen.
County, VA, Chamber of Commerce Records, 516 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains information relating to the Chamber of Commerce, including promotional literature, annual reports, calendars, membership rosters, business information, and the Chamber’s history. The chamber also prints a newsletter and many of the issues are in the collection.
(6 boxes) Last updated 12/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester-Frederick County Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1917 to promote businesses and prosperity in Winchester and Frederick County, VA. Still in existence today, the chamber has worked for nearly 100 years with city and county governments, local businesses, schools, and health and safety facilities to promote Winchester and Frederick County, VA to the United States and around the world.
Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission Collection, 1251
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains articles, reports, promotional literature and aerial photomaps of the Winchester-Frederick County (VA) area from 1988 to the present. The materials relate to the activities of the Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission.
(1 box) Last updated 12/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission is an organization created in 1988 to help monitor and promote economic growth in Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia.
Winchester-Frederick County Legal Records, 1680 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains a variety of legal documents concerning Winchester-Frederick County, VA.
(2 boxes) Last updated 03/2010.
Biographical/Historical: Frederick County was established in 1738 and Winchester, VA was established in 1752. Frederick County Court Records began in 1743.
Winchester – Frederick County Historical Society Records, 49# WFCHS
Scope and Content: TThe collection contains many of the records of the Winchester – Frederick County Historical Society including quarterly newsletters, promotional items, news clippings, papers about the museums, and the visitors’ log of George Washington’s Office Museum.
(1 box) Last updated 12/08.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester – Frederick County Historical Society was founded in 1930, and has had an active role in the preservation and study of the history of Winchester and Frederick County, VA ever since. The society operates three local museums, publishes an annual journal on local history, and is closely associated with the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library.
County Ministerial Association Records, 160 THL
Scope and Content: TThe collection contains the minutes and the directories for the Winchester-Frederick County Ministerial Association from 1965-2005 as well as church bulletins, news clippings, and announcements. (3 Boxes), Last updated 01/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Frederick County Ministerial Association was active from 1929 to about 1942. Winchester clergy had a separate association. In 1955, the associations reorganized to form the Winchester-Frederick County Ministerial Association. See also Winchester Ministerial Association Records, Collection #1290 WFCHS.
Veterans Council Collection, 1301 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of correspondence, brochures, articles, certificates, and other materials concerning the Winchester-Frederick County (Virginia) Veterans Council and their activities.
(1 box) Last updated 12/08.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester-Frederick County Veterans Council is an organization that honors and remembers veterans in the Winchester-Frederick County area. It is composed of representatives from the American Legion, Conrad-Hoover Post #21; Disabled American Veterans—Stonewall Jackson #9, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., Posts 2123 and 9646.
Winchester High School
Records, 670 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection includes diplomas, broadsides, commencement programs, and report card of Winchester High School, which was located in the John Kerr Public School building and operated from 1884 – 1919.
(1 box) Last updated 05/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Thanks to the generous provision in the will of Winchester resident John Kerr, Winchester, Virginia was able to begin providing free public education for its residents. The cornerstone for the new school building, at the southwest corner of Boscawen and Cameron Streets, was laid in 1883. Located in what became known as the John Kerr building in 1895, the Winchester High School began classes there a year after the cornerstone was laid. The school operated until 1919 when the high school was moved to John Handley High School. Captain John Crawford Van Fossen, a veteran of the 14th Virginia Cavalry, was the principal of the high school until his death in 1904. Van Fossen was the only educator in Winchester history to organize a public school and serve as its principal until his death.
Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 A.F. & A.M. Records, 1589 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the records of Winchester Lodge #12, A.Y.M. ("Antient York Masons") of 1768 to 1807 and Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 A.F. & A.M. of 1810 to 2000. These records contain charters, bylaws, account ledgers, reports, obituaries, and Masonic sponsored programs and events. Also included are ephemera and an historical sketch of the lodge.
(1 box) Last updated 08/07.
Biographical/Historical: Organized Freemasonry did not appear in Winchester until 1768 when a group of masons residing in Frederick County applied to the Provincial Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. On October 1, 1768, a charter or "warrant," was issued to form Winchester Lodge #12, A.Y.M. ("Antient York Masons"). The masons met periodically until December 1777, when they were forced to close and did not reopen until 1785. It wasn’t until 1810 that the masons had a permanent meetinghouse. In 1807, Lodge #12 surrendered their charter to the Pennsylvania Grand Lodge and was issued a new charter by the Virginia Grand Lodge to become Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 A.F. & A.M. This move now enabled the Winchester Lodge to participate in activities with other Virginia lodges. The Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 is still active in the community.
Winchester Host Lions Records, 1669 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the records of the Winchester Host Lions from its founding in 1924 to 2003. Included in the records are minutes, correspondence, membership information such as attendance, dues, monthly activities, and charitable work. Also in the collection is information about the Lions International, and the Winchester Lioness.
(9 boxes) Last updated 08/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester Host Lions was founded in 1924, and continues to operate today. It has been involved in a variety of charitable activities, including work with seeing-eye dogs and medical research for deafness. The organization is also heavily involved in local activities such as the annual Apple Blossom Festival, and high school sporting events
Winchester Knitting Mills Records,
(Name Changed to Locksley Corporation-July 5, 1963), 1469 THL
Scope and Content: This collection of the Winchester Knitting Mills Records, Winchester, VA, includes the charter, by-laws, minutes, stock certificates, and reports of examination prepared by Yount, Hyde & Company, giving financial information from 1963 through 1970.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
Theater Collection, 2 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains playbills, newsletters, news clippings and 1900s scrapbook. (2 boxes) Last updated 04/12.
Biographical/Historical: Founded in 1929, Winchester Little Theatre is an all-volunteer organization, and has been at the forefront of providing entertainment for the Winchester-Frederick County area. The theater began as the Winchester Theatre Guild. The first production presented three one-act plays, which opened on April 8, 1930, to an audience of over 400 in the Handley High School auditorium. The Winchester Community Theatre was its name, and it performed in many places including Handley and James Wood High Schools, the First Baptist Church on Piccadilly St., the George Washington Hotel, the Elks and Moose lodges, and outdoors at Abrams Delight. The theater group sometimes performed in unusual places, like storefronts, warehouses, and even a swimming pool building. The theater took a break during World War II, but started up again in 1946 with a benefit performance.
In 1957, the theater became the Bark Mill Players. They performed at Wolfe and Braddock streets on the second floor of a building, which had previously been a mill that produced a bark product used in tanning leather. Irvan O’Connell, who was long active in the theater, owned the building and helped build the theater, which had a small stage in the round and seated 96. The building eventually became a hazard in 1973, and the company was forced to move. In 1974, the theater began its new 1974 season as the Winchester Little Theatre in the former train station at 315 W. Boscawen Street. Built in the 1890s as a freight station for Pennsylvania Railroad Co., the building was acquired by the theater with a sealed bid of $57,000. A considerable amount of cleanup and renovation was conducted with volunteer labor at negligible cost to create the theater with 97 seats on three sides of a stage, a lobby, and necessary lighting and backstage rooms.
Today, the Winchester Little Theatre performs four or five plays a year, each of which runs for two or three long weekends. Each year members of the Winchester Little Theatre vote for the play of the year. The award is known as "The Barkie" in honor of the old Bark Mill. For more information, go to their web site <www.wltonline.org>.
Winchester Medical Center
Records, 1626 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: The collection contains reports, programs, articles, oral histories, hospital magazines and newsletters, and other materials concerning the Winchester area hospital, which opened in March 1903. Also included in the collection are historical nursing school materials, news articles, and staff directories. (3 boxes) Last updated 012/10.
Biographical/Historical: Winchester Medical Center began as Winchester Memorial Hospital on the corner of Clifford and Stewart streets in Winchester, Virginia. It opened on March 17, 1903. When the hospital first opened, it had 12 private rooms and a ward with 24 beds. Over the years, buildings and services expanded. The Winchester Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses was a separate operation. The school began when the hospital began in 1903. The Class of 1905 was the first class, and it contained one person, Mary Milliner. The nursing school operated for sixty years and closed in 1964. The Class of 1964 was the last class.
The new facility, an $80 million hospital complex, opened in December 1989. It is located at 1840 Amherst Street, west of Winchester. Valley Health is the parent company that owns the facility. The 411-bed hospital continues to grow as new units and services are added.
Winchester Medical College
Collection, 190 THL/WFCHS
The Winchester Medical College Collection includes catalogs, announcements, histories, and news articles pertaining to the college and its founder, Dr. William P. McGuire. The Winchester, Virginia college was chartered in 1826 as the "Medical College of the valley of Virginia". It was begun by Dr. John Esten Cooke, Dr. Hugh Holmes McGuire, and Dr. A. F. Magill. The college operated for two years and closed until 1847, when it was revived and newly chartered by the commonwealth as the Winchester Medical College. (1 box) Last updated 12/02.
Winchester Ministerial Association
Records, 1290 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, financial statements, and minute books concerning the Winchester Ministerial Association.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Frederick County Ministerial Association, active from 1929 to about 1942, merged in 1955 with the Winchester Ministerial Association.
Winchester & Potomac Railroad Records,
Scope and Content: This collection contains annual reports, stock information, and papers concerning Winchester and Potomac Railroad of Winchester, VA. Also included is a lawsuit between Winchester & Potomac Railroad and the Orange, Alexandria, & Manassas Railroad.
(1 box) Last updated 07/08.)
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester and Potomac Railroad (W & P) was the first railroad in Winchester, VA. It was chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in 1831 and ran from Harper’s Ferry to Winchester. The original train stopped at the corner of Water and Market Streets. In March 1862, the United States Army seized the railroad. In 1866, when the Winchester and Potomac was returned to the owners, they decided to lease the right-of-way to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B & O). In 1902, through a third party, the W & P was acquired by the B & O.
Winchester Regional Airport Collection, 1442 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of environmental assessment reports and an article about the history of Winchester airports.
(2 boxes) Last updated 12/06.
Biographical/Historical: Winchester’s first airport was Bowles Field, which was established in 1907. It consisted of a "moved" field, small hanger, and a farmhouse. The exact location of this field is unknown. It is believed that Bowles Field was absorbed by Admiral Byrd Field, which opened January 21, 1931. The Byrd Field is considered to be Winchester’s first established airport and was located south and adjacent to U.S. Rt. 50 near the intersection of U.S. Rt. 522. The airport was reorganized and expanded and became Winchester Municipal Airport on December 2, 1937. A larger tract of land had been leased to accommodate larger aircraft and was officially recognized as a licensed commercial airport by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Winchester Rotary Club Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, newsletters, histories, membership rosters (1944-1997), minutes, and other papers of the club.
(10 boxes) Last updated 09/08.
Biographical/Historical: The Rotary Club was started by Paul Harris on February 23, 1905, as a philanthropic organization. The Winchester Rotary Club was organized in 1921 by Fred E. Clerk who served as the first president. The club is comprised of professionals on the management or supervisory level and has admitted women since 1988.
Winchester Virginia Bicentennial Commission Collection, 767 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains materials pertaining to the 1752-1952 bicentennial celebration of Winchester, VA in 1952. Included are programs, brochures, names of participants, and names of people who had been residents of the Winchester area for 50 to 70 years.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.
Wine , J. Floyd Collection, 457 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contained the essays of J. Floyd Wine which cover a wide variety of subjects on the history of the Shenandoah Valley.
(1 box) Last updated 06/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: J. Floyd Wine is a long-time resident of Winchester, VA, a former volunteer at the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, and Director Emeritus of the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.
Wolfe, Judith L. Collection, 1520 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains a loose-leaf notebook entitled, "Descendants of Joseph and Mary Rust Miller of Buffalo Marsh." The 72 pages contain genealogical material of this family of Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Bibliography: Joseph and Mary Rust Miller lived in "Buffalo Marsh," Opequon District, Middletown, Frederick County, VA. He was born in 1763 and died in 1853. Joseph and Mary married in December of 1800 and were the parents of nine children.
Women’s Christian Temperance Union Collection, 754 THL
Scope and Content: This collection includes pamphlets and articles written about alcohol, alcoholism, and the use of alcohol related to Christianity and the Bible. Also included are the history of Winchester, VA’s Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), the Frederick County, VA Temperance Convention in 1834, and various news articles.
(1 box) Last updated 07/07.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester chapter of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) was organized in October of 1884 in response to a call for total abstinence by Miss Jennie Smith at a Market Street Methodist Church revival. Miss Smith was known to everyone as the Railroad Evangelist. The union began with about 100 members and about the same number of honorary male members. By 1958, membership had grown to 152, but only 12 honorary male members. The work of the WCTU was mostly educational. By 1958, seven working departments were active in the local union: temperance and missions, Christian citizenship, literature, publicity, flower mission and relief, evangelism, and international relations for peace. The Winchester union held the state convention for the organization in 185l, 1892, and 1909.
Women’s Civic League Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains minutes (1936-present), booklets (1988-present), record books (1946-1948), and scrapbooks (1946-1974) concerning the Women’s Civic League of Winchester, VA.
(6 boxes) Last updated 03/11.
Biographical/Historical: The Women’s Civic League of Winchester, VA, was organized in 1915 by Mrs. Robert Y. Conrad. The group performs civic and charitable activities in the community.
Wood, James Collection, 711 THL,
Scope and Content: The James Wood Collection is contained in three Hollinger-type boxes and one flat storage box (3 linear feet shelf space), with the contents of each box further divided into folders labeled by content. Item-level inventory prepared by Donn Neal, 2004. The collection is mainly the handwritten correspondence (business and personal); accounts and account books; surveys and plats; and other business, legal, and personal materials of Col. James Wood, Sr., and other members of the Wood family. Portions of the collection include Frederick County records (e.g., fee lists) and other information not directly related to the Wood family. The time period covered by the collection extends from the 1730s to the late 1800s.
This collection would be of interest to historians of the Frederick County and Winchester area, students of business history, and researchers interested in the Wood family itself.
In many respects the James Wood Collection mirrors and complements the information found in The James Wood Family Papers, THL 173; indeed, similar information is found in both collections and researchers should review both collections.
(4 boxes) Last updated 07/06.
Biographical/Historical: James Wood, Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land "on the branches of the Opequon" from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. Wood was elected the first Clerk of the Frederick County Magistrate and Court and served in that position until his death. He was also a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. In 1758, he was proxy for Washington in the latter’s candidacy for Burgess from Frederick County and wielded considerable political influence.
James Wood, Sr., built the first "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford (died 1798) in 1738 with whom he had children Elizabeth (b. 1739), James, Jr. (b. 1741), Mary (b. 1742), John (b. 1743-44), and Robert (b. 1747). He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.
James Wood, Jr. (1741-1813) was deputy surveyor of Frederick County and represented the county in the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1766 to 1776 and in the Virginia Constitutional Convention in 1776. He served as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia from 1796 to 1799. Wood negotiated the Treaty of Fort Pitt with the Shawnee Indians in 1775, making possible the successful expedition of General George Rogers Clark. He fought in the Revolutionary War as a colonel, commanding the Virginia Regiment at the Battle of Brandywine; later, he was a Brigadier-General of Virginia troops. James Wood, Jr., married Jean Moncure in 1775; they had no children.
Robert Wood (1747-1801) married Comfort Welsh (1751-1840), with whom he had numerous children. Nine of the children are represented in this collection: Julia, Comfort (Wood) Dailey, Robert W. (1776-1855), Mary Dorcas (Wood) Washington, Catherine (Wood) Glass, Harriot, Sarah Ann, William (1786-1872), and James.
Wood, James Family Papers, 173 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains the business papers of Col. James Wood Sr. and some of his family. The papers are accounts, diaries, receipts and various memorabilia of the family for the period from 1736 to1868. Included are papers of the Frederick County, Virginia Clerk’s office for the period from 1743 to 1769. This is an item-level inventory prepared by Wilmer Kerns. (5 boxes) Last updated 03/07.
Biographical/Historical: Col. James Wood Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land "on the branches of the Opequon" from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. He built the first "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford in 1738 with whom he had children (1) Elizabeth (b. 1739), (2) James Jr. (b. 1741), (3) Mary (b. 1742), (4) John (b. 1743-44), and (5) Robert (b. 1747). He was a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.
Note: This collection is available on microfilm (Boxes 1-3 on reel M-1972.1; Box 4 on Reel M-1972.1A) in the microfilm file cabinet. Microfilm may be photocopied; originals may not. Records on microfilm may be in different order from this inventory of documents. All items in this collection are manuscript unless otherwise noted. Microfilm is not available on interlibrary loan.
Wood – Woods Family Collection, 632 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of various Virginia county records, excerpts from several books concerning the Wood(s) family, and excerpts from several books concerning the Wood(s) family. It also includes several issues of different genealogical magazines published by the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, Wood(s) family oriented magazines, genealogies and histories of various states and families, and other miscellaneous Wood(s) family materials. (9 boxes) Last updated 05/03.
Woods, Neill Collection, 280
This collection contains drawings created by cartoonist Neill Woods for the Winchester Evening Star during the 1930s. Before Woods moved to Winchester, VA in 1911, he drew for the Baltimore World. (1 box) Last updated 01/03.
World War One Collection, 1115 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains accounts, sketches, booklets, rosters, maps, and other materials concerning local people and events of World War I.
(4 boxes) Last updated 07/11
Biographical/Historical: World War I, 1914-1918, was an international conflict that included most of the nations, Europe, Russia, U.S., and the Middle East. The war put the Central Powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Turkey) against the Allies (France, Great Britain, Russia, Italy, Japan, and the U.S.). It ended with the defeat of the Central Powers.
World War II Collection, 1050 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains military records, Virginia War Fund records, articles, scrapbooks, and other material concerning World War II. The primary focus is on soldiers of the Winchester-Frederick County, VA community.
(13 boxes) Last updated 05/12.
Biographical/Historical: World War II was a conflict, 1939-45, between the Axis Powers (Germany, Italy and Japan) and the Allies (France, Great Britain and Russia). With 40 to 50 million deaths, World War II was the bloodiest conflict and the largest war, in history. The war ended with the defeat of the Axis Powers.
WPA Records, 303 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a series of reports on historical subjects of the Winchester-Frederick County area as prepared by the Works Progress Administration of Virginia in the years 1936-37. The reports cover subjects such as deeds, churches, homes, cemeteries, wills, etc. An index is included with the records.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The WPA (Work Progress Administration) was founded in 1932 and became one of the largest of the "New Deal" programs begun by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The administration created jobs all over the United States in areas such as the arts, public building restoration and construction, roads, and historical records. In Winchester, VA, the WPA employees created reports on various historic sites and subjects between 1936-1937.
Wright, Daniel Collection, 1646 # THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains a variety of items pertaining to the life and work of Winchester native Colonel Daniel Wright, including news clippings, correspondence, memorabilia, articles concerning his travels and work in Panama, Greece, and elsewhere around the world. (1 box) Last updated 01/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Colonel Daniel Wright was born in 1883 in Winchester, VA. After receiving a degree in engineering from Virginia Tech University in 1904, Wright was employed by the Isthmian Canal Corporation where he worked on the construction of the Panama Canal. Awarded the Theodore Roosevelt Medal of Honor for his work fighting yellow fever and malaria in the Canal Zone, Wright served as a consultant to the Panamanian and Columbian governments between1921-1929. Joining the staff of the Rockefeller Foundation in 1929 he worked on developing a safer water supply in Greece, and Turkey until the outbreak of World War II. Wright also worked with the United Nations Public Health Service and the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration from 1944 to 1949. He retired in Winchester, and died in 1963.
Return to top
Collection, 1108 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogical information on the Judy, Street, Myers, and Yocum families.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: Thomas Yocum is the donor of this collection and a West Virginia resident.
Return to top
Isaac Collection, 642 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains copies of correspondence, including a microfilm (1761-1806) and other information relating to Isaac Zane, his iron works at Marlboro and his service as a justice of Frederick County, VA in 1772 and in the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1775. Copies of maps and estate settlement papers are also part of the collection.
(1 box) Last updated 11/04
Biographical/Historical: Born into a devout Quaker family in Philadelphia in 1743, Isaac Zane came to Frederick County about 1756. He established the Marlboro Iron Works that produced stoves, pots, and bar iron, which were shipped to Bristol, London, Glasgow, and Boston from the ports of Alexandria and Falmouth. The iron works was turned into a munitions factory during the Revolutionary War. Because of nonpayment, Zane remained in debt for the rest of his life, although his substantial holdings and personal property occupy 81 pages in the Frederick County Superior Court Will Book #1, pp. 224-305. He was active in VA and colonial political affairs serving in the House of Burgesses in 1775 and Revolutionary Conventions of 1774 and 1776, and VA House of Delegates (1778-1781).
Return to Top
Return to Archives page
Return to Handley Regional Library home page