Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041, fax (540) 722-4769
A-B C-D E-G H-K L-M N-Q R-S T-Z
Index to Inventories H I J K
Haines, John Collection 735 THL
SCOPE/CONTENT: The collection contains several articles by John Haines, as well as articles on various subjects by other authors. There are also materials relating to the genealogy of the Bumgardner, Elosses, Fagan, and Haines family, as well as a 19th Century Bible which had been owned by Mary Elosses. (2 boxes) Last updated 06/08.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Haines is a native of Winchester, VA.
Hall, Elaine Walker Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains articles, memorabilia, and photographs of the Brill, Spaid and Walker families in the late 19th and early 20th centuries from West VA and PA. Elaine Walker Hall, a descendant of these families, compiled this material. The collection also contains items on the Winchester and Wardensville Railroad as well as World War II.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Born on September 6, 1924 in Pennsylvania, and was the executive director of the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society from 1981 until her retirement in 1989. Hall was also an avid genealogist, and an active member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She died on January 30, 2003 and is buried at Mount Hebron Cemetery.
Hamill, Giles C. Records,
Scope and Content: This collection contains one account book of Giles C. Hamill, a tanner in Jefferson County, WV, and Warren County, VA. The account book covers from 1844 to 1859.
(1 box) Last updated 01/07.
Biographical/Historical: Giles C. Hamill was a tanner during the 19th century in Jefferson County and Ninevah, Warren County.
Hampshire Furnace Records,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Hampshire Furnace Records collection is comprised of a day book, which lists customer accounts for the Hampshire Furnace on Middle Ridge in Hampshire County, VA, 1812-1820.
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Hampshire Furnace was built sometime in the late 1700s near Middle Ridge by Edward McCarty. It was located 12 miles south of Romney, WV.
Handicaps Unlimited of Shenandoah
Valley Collection, 1097 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains newsletters of the Handicaps Unlimited of Shenandoah Valley (HUSV) 198101988 (incomplete).
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: HUSV started in 1980. Its purpose was to provide information about living with handicaps. The organization helped sponsor Shenandoah Valley Independent Living center. In 1988, HUSV disbanded as its members decided Shenandoah Valley Independent Living Center was carrying on the programs. The group is now called Access Independence.
Handley Board of Trustees Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains information pertaining to the probation of John Handley’s will. It includes court cases challenging the bequests in favor of establishing educational institutions in Winchester, VA (USA) and also information concerning the responsible body for administering the bequests, the Handley Board of Trustees. (1 box) Last updated 12/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Handley Board of Trustees was established February 7, 1896, by the Winchester City Council. The Board was chartered "to carry out the purpose of Judge Handley’s will as it relates to the City of Winchester; ‘to superintend and direct the custody and investment of the fund’ resulting from the said will."
Handley Regional Library Records,
Scope and Content: The collection contains material, plats, survey, DVDs, and news clippings relating to the Handley Regional Library.
(6 boxes) Last updated 04/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Handley Library is named for Judge John Handley (1835-1895). When Judge Handley died, he left a bequest to the city of Winchester (Virginia) to erect a "public library." The Handley Library opened in 1913. An addition to the building opened to the public in 1979. The Handley Library was renovated in 2001. Also in 1979, the library became a regional library when Frederick County and then Clarke County joined the system. The library in Clarke County was a privately run facility until it became part of the library system. In 2001, the Mary Jane and James L. Bowman Library opened in Stephens City, (Frederick County). This library is named in memory of James and Mary Jane Bowman. Mr. Bowman made his donation in 1999 to honor his wife, Mary Jane, a well-known nurse and community supporter, who died in1991. James L. Bowman died in December 2001.
Handley, John Collection,
Scope and Content: The John Handley Collection contains the dispersal of Judge Handley’s estate and the subsequent 100th anniversary celebration, although there are a few personal items and biographical sketches. Of particular interest is a handwritten opinion by Judge Handley in a case he adjudicated in September 1875.
(4 boxes) Last updated 02/13.
Biographical/Historical: Handley was born in Ireland in 1835, became a U.S. citizen in New York in 1856, and eventually moved to Scranton, PA where he practiced law. He began visiting Winchester, VA, in 1869. When John Handley died in 1895, he was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester and left what eventually amounted to over a million dollars to the City of Winchester for education of the poor and $250,000 for a public library.
Handley, John High School Records,
SCOPE AND CONTENTS: The collection contains memorabilia from classes, student newspapers, and correspondence on construction, blueprints, and history of the school by former student, Kenneth W. Rose and a history of Handley Football(1919-2010) by Sam McCall. Sam McCall also prepared a history of Handley Basketball The collection also contains numerous items about other school, and alumni activities.
(3 boxes) Last updated 01/2013.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Handley High School was built with money from the estate of Judge John Handley (1835-1895). The cornerstone was laid June 13, 1923, and the school was opened in September 1923. Handley High was a primary example of the use of private endowment funds to supplement tax money in support of public education.
Handley, William B. Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogy material of William Handley’s descendants and allied families. These booklets were researched, prepared, and indexed by William B. Handley, c. 2002. Digitized 02/07.
(1 box) Last updated 12/07.
Biographical/Historical: William Handley immigrated to Augusta County, VA from Pennsylvania, "late from Ireland" between 1740 and 1750.
Happy Retreat Records Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains an account book with entries from 1815 through 1832. The book entries indicate that a trading store may have been the user.
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
Hardesty, Lucy Collection, 1460 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence between clients and Lucy Hardesty and Pearl Ritenour regarding genealogical research. Also included are Frederick County birth (1853-1897) and death (1853-1897) records (also on microfilm) and personal memorabilia of Lucy Hardesty and Pearl Ritenour.
(59 boxes) Last updated 04/07.
Biographical/Historical: Lucy Ritenour Hardesty was born on May 6, 1911, in Winchester, VA, the daughter of Pearl Weaver and Daniel W. Ritenour. She was self-employed and a member of Duncan Memorial Methodist Church, Valley Glass Hoppers, and the Ft. Loudoun Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.). On June 11, 1938, she married Douglas F. Hardesty. Lucy Hardesty died on March 23, 1997, and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.
Harris, David Papers, 1206 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains business accounts for Harris & Keller Grocery Store in Middletown, VA during the last half of the 19th Century, as well as business papers of Danner & Newman of Woodstock, VA. Genealogies for Danner and Harris families are included together with papers regarding the M.E. Church and its construction in Middletown.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: David Harris, joint owner of the store was also the minister at the M.E. Church in Middletown during ca. 1870-1890. He married twice, to sisters, the daughters of Jacob Danner II, whose father Jacob Danner had married a daughter of Senseney, founder of Middletown. David Harris’s son, Carlton Danner Harris, and grandson, Carlton M. Harris, were also Methodist ministers. David Harris’s son-in-law Edward Sperry ran the store until it burned. The property was donated to the fire department, which occupies it at present.
Harrison, Burr P. Papers,
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of historical and genealogical information on the Harrison family including correspondence, political papers and speeches, and other miscellaneous material. Also included are nine scrapbooks (1916-1963) concerning the political careers of Burr P. Harrison and his father, Thomas W. Harrison.
(1 box) Last updated 01/06.
Hartman and Bowly’s Records, 1627
Scope and Content: This collection contains a ledger for Hartman and Bowly. The ledger for April 9, 1856, through October 7, 1857, lists thousands of purchases by Winchester, VA and area residents. The majority of entries are medically related, referencing prescriptions and other medical remedies. Noteworthy names include Hunter Holmes McGuire, James M. Mason, Hugh Lee, Mrs. Lee, Isaac Hollingsworth, Magill, Judge Parker, Mrs. Bush Taylor, and A.H. Boyd. The business opened in May 1856.
(1 box) Last updated 03/07.
Biographical/Historical: Hartman and Bowly were druggists who conducted their business at 124 N. Loudoun Street, Winchester, VA, opposite the Taylor Hotel. Franklin Bowly was born in about 1820 in Maryland and died in 1880 in Pennsylvania. He was married to Elizabeth Butler Bowly. In 1856 Franklin Bowly, formerly of Dorsey and Bowly, entered into a co-partnership with Lewis P. Hartman to be called Hartman and Bowly. Prior to this Hartman owned the building of and operated a business at 124 N. Loudoun St. Hartman was born about 1809 in Virginia, but it is not known when he died. Both men lived and worked in Winchester.
Hellmann, Paul T. Papers, 777 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the tours and maps associated with Paul T. Hellmann’s proposed book, Country Roads: Frederick County. Hellmann died before the book could be published.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Paul T. Hellmann a native of St. Louis, Missouri, was a freelance writer, and geographer. He is the author of Historical Gazetteer of the United States which was published by Taylor and Francis, Inc. in 2004. Hellmann died on March 11, 2011, and is buried at New Bethlehem Memorial Park, St.. Louis County, MO.
Helm, Elizabeth Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains a scrapbook of Elizabeth Helm’s campaign for mayor of Winchester, VA, USA, her election, and activities. It consists of news articles, photographs, notes, etc. covering Sept. 1986 to May 1996. The rest of the collection contains speeches, correspondence, news clippings, issues, and events surrounding Elizabeth Helm’s term as mayor of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 03/10.
Biographical/Historical: Elizabeth Glaize Helm was the first female mayor of Winchester, A. She served from May 1988 to May 1992.
Henkel, Alfred D. Collection,
162 WFCHS / THL
Scope and Content: The Alfred D. Henkel Collection contains correspondences, business papers, genealogy notes, Lutheran church information, and news clippings. Also included are scrapbooks of Civil War newspaper articles, a military pass, and military occupation information.
(54 boxes) Last updated 06/10.
Biographical/Historical: Alfred Henkel was a Winchester, VA physician, who lived from 1860 to 1947. He was an avid collector of local and family history.
Henkel, Paul Family Papers,
Scope and Content: This collection contains personal and business correspondence of the Paul Henkel family and correspondence of the Lutheran Church to several Henkels. Many of these letters are in German. Some of them have been translated. Also included are marriages, obituaries, diaries, and other family materials.
(4 boxes) Last updated 03/07.
An itemized list of folder contents may be seen in the Archives Room. Names of people are listed in anglicized form; place names are given in current spelling.
Biographical/Historical: Paul Henkel was born on December 15, 1754 in Rowan (now Davie) County, NC to Jacob and Barbara Teters Henkel. He died in 1825, two years after a stroke. Paul always had an aptitude and interest for studies and religion. In 1776, he began studying for the ministry. That same year he married Elizabeth Nagley from New Jersey. He was licensed and later ordained as a Lutheran minister. The principal focus of Henkel’s work for many years was in the Shenandoah Valley, Shenandoah County, VA. He later made several extended missionary journeys to SC, NC, TN, KY, IN, and OH. In 1790, the Henkel’s moved to New Market, VA, the principal residence for the rest of Henkel’s life.
Arthur Pierson Kelly explains in his 200 Years in the Shenandoah Valley [that] "Paul Henkel’s one concern was to proclaim the Good News, in season and out of season. He was indefatigable in zeal; and he endured almost incredible hardships without a murmur. He and his wife were generous beyond their means; and self-interest never entered his ministry."
Henshaw, C.W. Collection, 1570 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains newspapers and almanacs from the mid-1800s. Newspaper titles are Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, May 9, 1863, Nov. 12, 1859, Nov. 5, 1859, and March 12, 1859; The Southern Illustrated News, Oct. 11, 1862; The Virginia Free Press, Nov. 3, 1887; Spirit of Jefferson, Aug. 23, 1881. The almanacs cover the years 1836, 1846-1848, and 1852. The collection also contains several items concerning the Old Stone Chapel Presbyterian Church, Clarke County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 07/12.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: C. W. Henshaw (1852-1920) and was a farmer near Middleway, West Virginia for most of his life. He was married to Flora B. Glaize (1853-1928), and both are buried in the Masonic Cemetery in Middleway.
Hess, Abram Records, 1407 THL
Scope and Content: The collection contains an account book belonging to Abraham Hess and runs from 1818 to 1822. The entries in the book refer to his dry goods merchandise and to whom they were sold. His store was located in Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 06/04.
Hinkle, Kenneth S. Papers, 1536 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the poems of Ken Hinkle (2003-present) which deal with a variety of subjects and events that have affected his life. (1 box) Last updated 03/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Ken Hinkle is a long time resident of Winchester, VA and has been writing poetry since he was in high school.
Hiram Lodge. See King Hiram Lodge #53
Hickman, Isabelle Bailey Papers,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the papers of the Bailey family of Frederick County, VA, including their membership at Braddock Street United Methodist Church, their grocery business, correspondence, and associated memorabilia. Some of the letters are related to Ora Bailey, Isabelle Bailey Hickman’s uncle, and his service with the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War I.
(6 boxes) Last updated 01/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Isabelle Bailey Hickman was the daughter of Bessie Lee Johnston and Cecil Bailey, who along with brother William, operated Bailey Brothers General Merchandise Store from 1904 to 1951. Another brother, Ora, also became a partner after World War I. Isabelle was a life-long member of the Braddock Street Methodist Church until her death in 2008
Historic American Buildings Survey Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of surveys of buildings and homes in the Winchester-Frederick County, VA, USA area. Some sites also have blueprints.
(1 box) Last updated 10/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) committee put these surveys together. The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) collection is among the largest and most heavily used in the Prints and Photographs Division of the Library of Congress. The collection documents achievements in architecture, engineering, and design in the United States and its territories through a comprehensive range of building types and engineering technologies. Administered since 1933 through cooperative agreements with the National Park Service, the Library of Congress, and the private sector, ongoing programs of the National Park Service have recorded America's built environment in multi-format surveys comprising more than 350,000 measured drawings, large-format photographs, and written histories for more than 35,000 historic structures and sites dating from Pre-Columbian times to the twentieth century.
Hite-Bowman-Hall Family Papers,
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of business notes, correspondence, legal documents, and other miscellaneous papers concerning the Hite, Bowman, and Hall families, 1766-1903.
(1 box) Last updated 03/07.
Biographical/Historical: Joist Hite, Frederick County, VA pioneer, secured a 5,018-acre tract of land from John Vanmeter in 1734. Within 18 years he had disposed of it to 13 different families. Eleanor and Isaac Hite Jr., grandson of Joist Hite, built Belle Grove in 1794 and lived there until Isaac’s death in 1836.
Joist Hite’s eldest daughter Mary married George Bowman before coming to Virginia. They had 13 children. Their son Isaac had a grandson, Isaac Sydor Bowman, who married Susan Hall in 1877. Isaac and Susan are buried in the Bowman Cemetery northwest of Harmony Hall in Frederick County, VA.
Hite Family Association Collection, 1465 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of correspondence, biographies, articles, and other genealogical materials concerning the Joist Hite family and their descendants.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: The Hite Family Association, P.O. Box 23306, Providence, RI 02903. www.HiteAssociation.org
Hockett, Jack Collection,
Scope and Content: The Jack Hockett Collection contains genealogical material on the McNew (Macknew, McKnew), Marlow (Marler, Marley), Hargis, and Berry families, who moved through Frederick County on their way to Fincastle County, Virginia, in 1773. The collection was compiled by Jack Hockett of St. David’s, Pennsylvania.
(1 box) Last updated 07/06.
Hoffman, Evelyn "Peggy" McCauley Collection, 1360
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of genealogical materials on the Boyce, Hoffman, Liller, McCauley, Moreland, Pepper, Powell, Roe, Barbour, and Schuler families. It also contains obituaries from the Winchester Star, Martinsburg Journal, Northern Virginia Daily, Washington Post, and Richmond Times.
(11 boxes) Last updated 08/12.
BIPGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Peggy McCauley F. Hoffman is the compiler and donor of this collection. She is a life lone resident of Frederick County, VA
House Collection, 1678 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains memorabilia from the Hoffman Family and their ancestral home in Middletown, VA, including a 2008 guide to touring the house. Its current owner, John Hoffman, has made the house into a museum.
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Built in 1797, the Hoffman House has been in the possession of the Hoffman family since 1852. The house came under fire during the Battle of Cedar Creek, which resulted in its chimney being destroyed by a cannon ball. It was also featured in a sketch by Civil War artist James Taylor.
Hofstra, Warren Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Warren Hofstra Collection is comprised of copies of project papers written by students of Dr. Warren Hofstra, full-time faculty at Shenandoah University, Winchester, Virginia. The paper topics cover a wide range of local history from events to people to buildings. Box 2 of the collection contains papers written by Dr. Hofstra on local history. (2 boxes) Last updated 05/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Dr. Hofstra lives in Winchester, Virginia. He earned his B.A. from Washington University in St. Louis, his M.A. from Boston University, and his doctorate from the University of Virginia in 1985. He has taught in the history department of Shenandoah University since 1978. He was named to an endowed faculty position at Shenandoah University in January 1987. He is the author of several books and articles about the lower Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. His latest book, Ulster to America, The Scots-Irish Migration Experience, 1680-1830, was published in 2012.
Holliday, Frederick William Family
Collection, 1061 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection includes copies of legal papers, speeches, and personal correspondence of Frederick W. Holliday. Family bibles, property histories and items relating to R.J.M. Holliday, Dr. S.J. Holliday, and James V. Hutton Jr.’s research notes and writings about Governor Holliday are also part of the collection as well as a microfilm of 286 items in Duke University’s collection.
(2 boxes) Last updated 7/12
Biographical/Historical: Holliday was born in Winchester on February 22, 1828 to Dr. R.J. and Mary Catherine Taylor Holliday. He was educated at Winchester Academy and Yale University before taking degrees in philosophy, political economy and law at the University of Virginia. He served as Commonwealth’s Attorney for Frederick County from 1861 to 1865. During the Civil War, he was Colonel of the 33rd VA regiment of the Stonewall Brigade before being wounded and losing his right arm. Elected Governor of Virginia in1877, he served until 1882. After returning to Winchester, Holliday made extensive worldwide trips, which he recorded and published. He died on May 29, 1899 and was buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Hollingsworth Family Papers
Collection, 3 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, deeds and wills, inventories, and other documents of the family. Bible records and genealogical information is also included together with HABS drawings of Abrams Delight and surveys of land.
(3 boxes) Last updated 11/12. DIGITIZED 05/11/07.
Biographical/Historical: Abraham Hollingsworth, only child of Thomas and Margaret Hollingsworth, was born on Jan. 19, 1686, in Newark, Delaware. He married Ann Robinson on March 13, 1710, and moved to Cecil County, Maryland. From Maryland he moved to the Shenandoah Valley and acquired 582 acres in 1732 from Alexander Ross, leader of 34 Quaker families in the Clearbrook area. When Hopewell Meeting was formed in 1734, the Hollingsworth family became members there. By that time he had located on Shawnee Spring in Winchester, and the family was operating a flour mill by 1752. Upon Abraham’s death in 1748, the oldest son Isaac became owner of the 582 acres. He built Abrams Delight in 1754 after marrying Rachel Parkins in 1748. Isaac died at age 37 and the property passed to their son Jonah and then to his son David. Abrams Delight became the property of the City of Winchester in 1943, the first time it had been owned by other than members of the Hollingsworth family.
Holmes, Hugh Records,
Scope and Content: The Hugh Holmes Records collection contains mathematical equations, philosophy notes, accounts, 1786-1794, and an account book, 1798-1806.
(2 boxes) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Hugh Holmes II was born on Nov. 8, 1768, in York Co., PA, to Joseph Holmes and Rebecca Hunter. Some time before 1775, he moved to Frederick Co., VA. He studied law and became a prominent attorney in Winchester. On Dec. 20, 1791, he married Elizabeth Briscoe. Holmes soon became judge of the General Court and of the Superior Court for the 9th District. In 1795, he became mayor of Winchester and the same year began representing the district in the State Senate (1795-1799). He represented Frederick County from 1802 to 1806, and was Speaker of the House of Delegates from 1803 to 1805. Judge Holmes died on Jan. 19, 1825, and was buried in Old Stone Presbyterian Church Cemetery and reinterred in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in a mass grave in 1912.
Hook, Mildred Collection, 1163 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains typescript records of cemeteries in Frederick and Clarke Counties, VA and WV counties. Also included are typescript abstracts of Revolutionary War Soldiers and others.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Hooper, Nicholas Records,
This collection contains one account book (1828-1835) of Nicolas Hooper, which includes bills of sale for general merchandise, and later tree plantings in 1871, probably by his son.
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Hoover, Charles Loring Papers,
CONTENT AND SCOPE: This collection contains World War II memorabilia, newspaper clippings, obituaries, and other items associated with Winchester native Charles L. Hoover (1920-1942). (1 box) Last updated 10/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Charles Loring Hoover, who was a 1937 graduate of Handley High School, was the first Frederick County, VA soldier killed in action during World War II. Hoover was killed while fighting against an attack on his position by German bombers during the North Africa Campaign in November, 1942. The 22-year-old was awarded the Purple Heart and the Silver Star for his service during the engagement.
Hopewell Monthly Meeting Society of Friends Records,
Scope and Content: Hopewell-Centre Monthly Meeting of Friends Collection contains minutes of meetings, membership, business transaction receipts, and a graveyard chart for the Hopewell (Quaker) Society of Friends, 19th and 20th centuries.
(5 boxes) Last updated 09/10.
Biographical/Historical: Hopewell Monthly Meeting of Friends was founded in 1734 and continues as an active meeting today. Centre Monthly Meeting was founded in 1817. The current Meeting House was built in 1872 after Union General Robert Milroy destroyed the original building in 1863 during the Civil War. In the 1990s the two congregations merged. Hopewell is in Clear Brook and Winchester is the home of Centre.
Horsey and Atwell Records,
Horsey and Atwell were clothiers and haberdashers in Winchester and Woodstock. Their Winchester store was located at 130 W. Loudoun St. from 1894-1907.
(1 box) Last updated 09/02.
Hotchkiss, Jedediah Papers, 1335
Scope and Content: This collection contains miscellaneous papers and reports collected by Jedediah Hotchkiss; several issues of The Virginias, a news journal edited by Hotchkiss; and information written by Hotchkiss on Virginia geology and geography. The collection focuses on his career after the American Civil War in Virginia.
(3 boxes) Last updated 02/06.
Biographical/Historical: Jedediah Hotchkiss was born in 1828 in Windsor, NY. An affluent upbringing allowed him to receive an excellent education. After taking a walking tour of Virginia in 1847, he moved to Augusta County, VA and worked as a tutor. During 1852 and 1853, he became principal of Mossy Creek Academy near Staunton, VA and married Sara Ann Comfort of Pennsylvania. In 1859, he moved his family to Churchville, VA and opened Willow Creek Academy, staying there until the outbreak of war in 1861. During the war, he served as a cartographer for Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. After the war, he worked in the field of geology and wrote extensively about the Civil War campaigns in Virginia. Jedediah Hotchkiss died in January 1899.
Huddleston, Bethinia S. Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of reports written by Bethinia Huddleston’s 7th grade class from the Daniel Morgan Middle School, Winchester, VA. These reports cover a wide range of topics from African Americans in Virginia, furniture, art, toys and games of early Virginia.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: Bethinia S. Huddleston is a 7th grade social studies teacher at Daniel Morgan Middle School. She is a resident of Winchester, VA and the donor of this collection.
Judy Collection, 899 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains four interviews with former students of the Old Stone School for African-Americans, and memorial cards for funerals of Winchester residents.
(1 box) Last updated 02/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Judy Humbert, a local historian, is a long time resident of Winchester, VA and a graduate of Douglas School.
Hutton, James V.
Jr. Collection, 588 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains writings of James V. Hutton, Jr. on historic figures and events in Frederick County, Virginia. It also includes information from the 1860 U.S. Slave Census. News clippings, scrapbooks, and papers include extensive World War II service personnel information. (2 boxes) Last updated 02/2011.
Biographical/Historical: Born in 1927, James V. Hutton, Jr. grew up in the White Hall area of Apple Pie Ridge in Frederick County. Later, he taught school in the county and served as Assistant Superintendent for Instruction until 1982, when he retired after an injury. Hutton is author of books and articles on events and prominent figures in Frederick County. He lives with his wife in the Winchester, VA area.
Return to top
Improved Order of Red Men,
Scope and Content: Most of the collection is manuscript on printed forms and manuscript.
(2 boxes) Last updated 06/06.
Biographical/Historical: The fraternity was founded in 1765, originally the Sons of Liberty, a group of patriots who concealed their identities and worked underground for freedom. They participated in the Boston Tea Party. The organization was patterned after the Iroquois Indian Nation. The name changed to Improved Order of Red Men after the Revolution in 1813.
Shawnee Tribe No. 2 of Winchester, Virginia, was established at least by 1848 as the collection includes By Laws for that year. Rosters, treasurers’ reports and minutes for the tribe cover years from 1904 to 1921. Also included in this collection are papers from the Great Council of Virginia, other Virginia, Oregon, and Iowa tribes.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows Records Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains minutes, lodge books, reports, ledgers, and other miscellaneous papers pertaining to the Lafayette, Oakdale, Madison (Winchester, VA, USA), Norfolk, Washington, and Canton lodges of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
(13 boxes) Last updated 06/11.
Biographical/Historical: The Virginia Order of Odd Fellows was founded in 1889. Richard F. Madigan, who was a past Grant Master of the Grand Lodge of Virginia and founder and editor of Virginia Odd Fellow and Rebekah newspaper, donated the items in this collection.
Return to top
Joseph S. Records,
This collection contains four account books kept during the period of 1829-1861. Joseph S. Jackson kept three for his hatting business in Winchester, VA. The fourth book is unidentified but also seems to be kept by a hatter. The books contain names of local residents and their accounts. (2 boxes) Last updated 02/03.
Jackson, Thomas J. "Stonewall" Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains copies of speeches and pamphlets regarding Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson, several of which were written by acquaintances of the General. Also included is a photocopy of a letter from Gen. Jackson to Gen. Walker, 1862. There are no signed manuscripts in this collection.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRPAHICAL/HISTORICAL: Thomas J. Jackson was born January 21, 1824 in Clarksburg, VA, graduated West Point in 1846, served in Mexico, and became an instructor at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 1851. He was appointed Colonel of Virginia forces in 1861 and commissioned Brigadier General soon after. His brigade included the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Twenty-seventh, and the Thirty-third Virginia and the Rockbridge Battery. He spent the majority of the Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley, VA. He died on May 10, 1863, and was buried in Lexington, VA.
Biographical/Historical: Thomas J. Jackson was born January 21, 1824 in Clarksburg, VA, graduated West Point in 1846, served in Mexico, and became an instructor at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 1851. He was appointed Colonel of Virginia forces in 1861 and commissioned Brigadier General soon after. His brigade included the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Twenty-seventh, and the Thirty-third Virginia and the Rockbridge Battery. He spent the majority of the Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley, VA. He died on May 10, 1863, and was buried in Lexington, VA.
James Wood High School Collection,
Scope and Content: The James Wood High School Collection consists of materials regarding the school, including: supplements to "Quarter of a Century of Athletics", a 1987 football program, literary magazines, and material about the Ridge Campus Dedication. (1 box) Last updated 11/10.
Biographical/Historical: James Wood High School was established in 1950. Five area schools were consolidated to form the student body. The land for the school was purchased from the Glass Estate with the condition that the school be named after the founder of Winchester, Virginia, James Wood. At the time of opening, there were 1,048 students ranging from grades 5 through 12. Additions to the school were built in 1963 and 1968. This building is now used for the junior high school covering grades 6 through 8 and is called James Wood Middle School. A new high school, located on Apple Pie Ridge Rd., was dedicated in 1981 as the James Wood High School—Ridge Campus.
Janney, John Edward Collection, 857
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of a diploma awarded to John Edward Janney for Doctor of Medicine by the University of Virginia, July 2, 1874.
and a biographical sketch of John Edward Janney.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: John Edward Janney was a student at the University of Virginia and received his medical degree in 1874. He attended Winchester Academy at Winchester, VA before medical school and practiced medicine in Frederick County, VA. He married Minnie P. Purcell in 1881. Two of their children survived his parents. After Minnie’s death, he married Leila Baker six weeks before his death in March of 1904. He was buried at Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Jefferson County, WV Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection includes two account books of general merchandise of Charlestown, VA (now in Jefferson Co., WV), USA, spanning the years from 1795 to 1797. Also included are three booklets, which give a brief historical account of several old places in Jefferson County. Included is a 25-page pamphlet issued for the Confederate soldiers’ memorial at Elmwood, Shepherdstown, WV, and gives a thorough listing and history of Confederate members of the Stonewall Brigade.
(2 boxes) Last updated 12/03.
Biographical/Historical: Jefferson County, VA formed from Berkeley County in 1801. Berkeley formed from Frederick in 1772. Account books list general merchandise sold in Charlestown (1795-96) store. General Darke, who founded Darkesville (WV) is listed as a customer.
Jefferson County Grange Hall Records,
Scope and Content: This collection contains a minute book (1874-1881) used by the first Grange being held at Summit Point, Jefferson County, WV. The minute book includes news articles, recipes, and household hints pasted inside. Also found within the book are papers and news clippings.
(1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Bibliography: The Grange was formed in June 1873 and was also known as Patrons for Husbandry. This organization was formed for the social and economic betterment of farmers. It was an outgrowth of a commission (founded in Washington, DC in 1867) to investigate the conditions of the south after the Civil War. The first Grange was held at Summit Point, WV. The Grange continued to grow setting up lodges in Jefferson County, WV towns. The lodge at Shenandoah Junction continued until 1928, when it was taken over by the Jefferson County Farm Bureau.
Jim Barnett Park Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection includes organizational papers for the association to develop the War Memorial Building including financial and tax records, correspondence, committee reports, and plans beginning in 1945. Budget documents for the years 1969 through 1974, the Fast Pitch Softball Hall of Fame, and newspaper clippings are also part of this collection. (1 box) Last updated 09/05.
Biographical/Historical: Planning for a War Memorial began in 1945 with the incorporation of the Winchester-Frederick County War Memorial Association. Donations from corporations and individuals provided funds to purchase a lot on North Kent Street, which was sold in March 1956. Proceeds of the sale were applied to construction of the building in the City of Winchester Park (now called Jim Barnett Park).
John Handley High School Records, See Handley, John High School Records
John Mann United Methodist Church Records,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of three deeds of church property along with a copy of a church mortgage (1893, 1894, & 1933) as well as a variety of items concerning the church and its history. Included in the collection are church bulletins, programs for special events, church history, newsletters, and the names of the church pastors. Last updated 06/12.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: Shortly before the Civil War at conference at the Market Street Methodist Church, Winchester, VA, decided to organize a new church for the local black population. The result of that meeting was the John Mann United Methodist Church which opened its doors on July 1, 1857 at 119 East Cork Street, Winchester, and still is in operation today.
Johnston, Wilbur Collection, 1168
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains items relating to the life and experiences of Winchester, VA resident Wilbur S. Johnston, including World War II rationing materials, family genealogy, local events, news clippings, and oral history.
(1 box) Last updated 3/2013
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Wilbur S. Johnston, a retired cartographer, is a native of Winchester, VA.
Cary Randolph Family Papers,
The Ann Cary Randolph Jones Family Papers collection includes original letters to William Strother Jones (grandson of Gabriel Jones) from Alexander Burnet and correspondence of Ann Cary Jones. Also included are land surveys, Vaucluse farm plat and floor plans, and a codicil to Ann Cary Joness will. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Note: All correspondence has been transcribed. It is available in that form for researchers' use. For additional information about the family, see the itemized list that accompanies this inventory. Researchers may wish to consult Defend the Valley: A Shenandoah Family in the Civil War, by Margaretta Barton Colt (New York: Orion Books, 1994), call number 975.5 COL in the Archives Reading Room.
Jones, Arthur G. Woolen Mill
Collection, 884 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is the court transcript of embezzlement of Arthur G. Jones Woolen Mill funds by Arthur G. Jones who was president of the company, located in Winchester, VA, USA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/03.
Biographical/Historical: Arthur G. Jones bought the mill in 1925. At that time, Chicago Wool Company owned half the stock. In 1929, Jones and the treasurer of the company, Max Krol, were indicted for taking over $4,000 from mill funds for private use. Found guilty, Jones served time in prison, as did Krol. The A. J. Woolen Company was bankrupt. A. J. Woolen Company and the Chicago Wool Company reorganized as the Winchester Woolen Company in 1931.
Jones, Francis B. Family Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Francis B. Jones Family Collection is comprised of correspondence, news articles, speeches, scrapbooks, rare books, a map, family materials, and other material from the 18th and19th centuries on the lives of Francis B Jones, his family, and his descendants. Items of interest are the records and correspondence of the family’s American patriarch, Gabriel Jones, genealogical information of the Jones, Randolph, Clark, Chipley, Marshall, Boling, Rutherford, Peyton, and Cary families. Also of interest are souvenir post cards from Appomattox, VA surrender grounds, letters from Jones to his family during the Civil War which include his part in the famous Shenandoah Valley Campaign under General Stonewall Jackson, and a color map of New Market Battlefield, May 15, 1864.published 1912.
(5 boxes) Last updated 04/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Major Francis B. Jones was born in 1827 in Frederick Co., VA to William S. and Ann C. Jones. A direct descendant of Shenandoah Valley pioneer and lawyer Gabriel Jones, Francis B. Jones was a farmer and Confederate soldier with the 2nd VA Infantry. He married Susan P. H. Clark on August 31, 1853. He was wounded at the Battle of Gaines Mill on June 27, 1862 and died on July 9, 1862. He was buried in Stonewall Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Jordan Springs Collection, 885
Scope and Content: This collection contains articles, copies of newspaper clippings, photographs and miscellaneous items detailing the evolution of Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs. Jordan Springs is located in Stephenson, VA, USA and was a popular retreat for many out of town visitors. (1 box) Last updated 03/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs resort was opened in the early 1800s by Branch Jordan. His nephew Edwin C. Jordan expanded it in 1885, and again in 1893. The latest of these had ceased to be operated as a spa by 1951, and was used for various purposes after that time.
Junior Century Club Collection,
Scope and Content: This collection contains program books for the Junior Century Club. Program books contain membership lists, dates, and subjects for the club’s programs. They cover the years from 1935 through 1964.
(1 box) Last updated 10/07.
Biographical/Historical: The Junior Century Club is a women’s social club, which was established in 1932 in Winchester, Virginia. Members present papers on a wide variety of topics and take turns hosting the monthly meetings.
Return to top
Keckley, Belle Papers, 1462 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of material from the American Revolutionary War through the American Civil War. Among the papers are miscellaneous receipts, promissory notes, oath of allegiance and fidelity (1777), correspondence (1855-1896), Civil War civilian passes (1860-1863), and a brochure from the Bryant and Stratten Business College (1883-1884).
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
Biographical/Historical: Belle Keckley was a Winchester, VA resident.
Presbyterian Church Collection, 701 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains two treasurers books, one with few entries from 1836 through 1901 and one with extensive information from 1847 through 1867 of the Kent Street Presbyterian Church in Winchester, VA. A list of members names is included. An undated pew rental chart is also a part of this collection. (1 box) Last updated 06/03.
Biographical/Historical: A group of members from the Old Stone Church (built ca. 1788) withdrew from that congregation and bought the lot at the northeast corner of Kent and Boscawen Streets on November 15, 1825. The church was erected in 1827. During the time he was in Winchester, General Stonewall Jackson worshipped at Kent Street. He and Mrs. Jackson lived for a part of the winter of 1861-62 with Dr. and Mrs. James Robert Graham at the Kent Street Church Manse, 319 N. Braddock St. Although the Kent Street and Old Stone Congregations reunited in 1834, they again split in 1838 with a group becoming the Loudoun Street Church. On March 22, 1900, the Kent Street and Loudoun Street congregations merged and the Kent Street property was sold. (The congregation is now First Presbyterian Church See 1135 THL)
Kercheval, Samuel Records,
These records contain two account books kept by Samuel Kercheval of Frederick County, Virginia. The earlier book dates from 1786 to 1790 and the later from 1788 to 1816.
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Kern, William Bentley Collection,
This collection includes Lt. Col. Kerns speech of 1942 to the 6th Armored Infantry on the eve the invasion of North Africa. Lt. Kern is a graduate of Handley High School, Winchester, Virginia. He spent his career in the military with extensive service during World War II in North Africa and Europe, as well as during the Korean conflict. (1 file-oversized) Last updated 12/02.
Kerns, Wilmer Collection,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This genealogy collection contains photocopies of news articles from the West Virginia Advocate (1983-1997), copies of several Frederick County road petitions, a record book for Nelson’s Chapel, and documents concerning the Grove families, John Parish, John Wolford, the Doctors McGuire, and the account book of Aaron Kerns. Articles cover families back to the 18th & 19th centuries. (3 boxes) Last updated 05/12.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRPAPHICAL: Dr. Kern is well respected genealogist and historian of the Lower Shenandoah Valley, and the author of four books concerning Fredrick County, VA and Hampshire County, WV. Shanholtzer History and Allied Family Roots of Hampshire County, W. Va., and Frederick County, Va. (929.2 Ker), Frederick County, Virginia: Settlement and Some First Families on Back Creek Valley, 1730-1830 (975.599 Fre), Historic Records of Old Frederick and Hampshire Counties, Virginia, Volumes I and II (975.599 Fre), and Old Frederick County, Virginia Historical Series, Volume I and II (975.599 Fre).
Nelson’s Chapel, also known as the Railroad Union Sabbath School, was a United Brethren in Christ Church that was located near Cross Junction. The record book included in the collection is the only record of the church’s existence.
Kerr, John Papers,
Scope and Content: This collection contains the business papers of John Kerr (1797-1855), Frederick County, VA cabinetmaker. His will and estate settlement inventory are included. Other family names surnames mentioned in the collection are Miller, Zirkle, and Henkel. The time period covered in this collection is approximately 1851 to 1912. (1 box) Last updated 05/2011.
Biographical/Historical: Born in England in 1797, John Kerr was naturalized in 1855 in Frederick County Court. He had already been established as a cabinet-maker in Winchester, where he resided with his wife Emeline Gainslen (1809-1870). The couple had no children, but Kerr left his place of business on the northeast corner of Loudoun and Boscawen Streets for the benefit of "the poor white children of Winchester," which provided the funds for the school built in his name. The former school, presently known as the John Kerr Building, stands at the corner of Cork and Cameron Streets.
King Hiram Lodge # 53 Free and
Accepted Masons’ Records, 1631 THL
Scope and Content: The collection contains minutes, awards certificates, articles, and ephemera pertaining to the King Hiram Lodge # 53 Free and Accepted Masons of Winchester, Virginia. The lodge was located 418 N. Kings Street in 1976.
(2 boxes) Last updated 02/08. The collection also includes minutes, correspondence, and treasury reports for Apple Blossom Chapter #196 of Eastern Star, Winchester, VA Last updated 3/08
Biographical/Historical: In 1885 a group of Brethren petitioned the Grand Lodge to establish a Black Masonic Lodge in Winchester, Virginia. On May 17, 1886, a warrant was granted to George Stephenson, R. Page Hall, and Preston S. Smith along with 11 Master Masons. The King Hiram Lodge # 53 was organized and meetings held. In 1946, the few remaining members reorganized. New members from surrounding counties were initiated, and old members returned. The reorganization was a huge success. They moved into their new quarters in 1976. A successful building fund drive paid it off in 1993.
Apple Blossom Chapter #196 of the Eastern Star is an auxiliary of the King Hiram Lodge.
Kinney, Bentley Collection, 1614 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of notes and news articles concerning local history, focusing on Winchester Memorial Hospital, which became the Winchester Medical Center in 1989.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/06.
Biographical/Historical: Bentley Kinney was born in Winchester on July 22, 1917, and died on September 24, 1982. He was active in the arts, theatre, and enjoyed researching and writing local history.
John Collection, 384# THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains four long-playing albums, album covers, and new articles concerning the life and career of band leader and jazz bassist John Kirby of Winchester, VA. (1 box) Last updated 12/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Kirby, a renowned jazz musician and band leader of the mid 20th Century, was born and raised in Winchester, VA. Originally trained on the trombone by Douglas School principal Powell Gibson, Kirby became known as one of the most accomplished string bass performers in the USA at the height of his career. Kirby performed with such jazz greats as Benny Goodman and Billie Holiday, and his band, the John Kirby Sextets, performed at New York City’s Onyx Club for many years. Kirby died in 1952 from complications stemming from diabetes.
Shelby Jean Collection, 1577 WFCHS
Scope and Content: The Collection consists of six large, loose-leaf notebooks, the contents of which are a printed genealogy of the Boxwell Family from England to America as compiled by Shelby Jean Kirk. Sources used via the Internet include www.ancestry.com, www.findagrave, www.HeritageQuest, and www.familysearch.org. Other sources include the Kurtz Funeral Home Collection 985 WFCHS and the Winchester Star archives at the Handley Regional Library Steward Bell Archives. Date gathered includes Family Group Sheets and identification of lineal descendants from the 1700s to the mid-1900s in some cases. 6 Notebooks Last updated 01/2013
Biographical/Historical: Shelby Jean Kirk prepared this collection on the Boxwell family out of family interest. She is a local resident and genealogical researcher. The Boxwell family lived in the Frederick County Area in the early 1700s and descendants y remain in the area today.
H. Collection, 611 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains two related sections, which list and name many architectural structures in Winchester, VA. It is made up of pictures along with a brief history, location, ownership, etc. Lindsay Kirkland is the donor of this collection
(1 box) Last updated 08/06.
Biographical/Historical: Lindsay Kirkland is the donor of this collection. He was a surveyor in the Winchester area.
Klein-Little Family Collection, 861
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of several genealogies concerning the Little (Klein), Oldacre, and Ritenour families.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Little family (also known as Klein) emigrated from Mannheim, Baden (Zweibreckt), Germany in 1749 to York, PA, USA to Frederick County, VA where they joined with the Ritenour and Oldaker families and migrated to Fayette and Greene Counties, OH.
Kline, H. B. Brothers Records,
Klines Mill is located southeast of Stephens City in Frederick County, VA. Jacob Klein and his son Anthony built it in 1794. This collection contains mainly receipts and commodity orders, along with handwritten business notes addressed to the H.B. Kline Bros. of Winchester, VA, dated during the late 1890s. . (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Walter H. Collection, 245 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains two land deeds, a grant, and a note from the late 18th and early 19th Centuries concerning land purchases by the Swisher Family of Frederick, later Hampshire and Hardy County, VA. Two of the deeds are for land surveyed by George Washington, and one is signed by Lord Fairfax.
(1 map case folder) Last updated 03/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Valentine Swisher was an early settler in western Frederick (eventually part of Hampshire and Hardy) County, VA. Swisher was a veteran of the Lord Dunmore War and the American Revolution. He had three children, Nicholas, Catherine, and Valentine Jr. Walter H. Knee is a long time resident of Winchester, VA.
Knights of Pythias Records
Collection, 1106 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of ledger books, VA convention proceedings, attendance, and expense records of the Knights of Pythias with some loose papers and pamphlets. These records span from the late 1800s to the late 1900s.
(1 box) Last updated 2/04.
Biographical/Historical: Knights of Pythias was a fraternal organization established in the 19th century.
Kohne, William Papers, 1457 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of an account book (1897-1924) and a 2-part diary (1909-1944) kept by William Kohne of West Virginia. Part 1 of the diary contains genealogical information on the Kohne and Teets families.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
Biographical/Historical: William [Erasmus] Kohne lived in Lower Cove, near Lost River in Hardy County, West Virginia.
Korean War Collection, 1447 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of service records and photographs of men and women of the Winchester-Frederick County area, who served in the Korean War. Also included are news articles; reminiscences; and ephemera of the Korean War.
(1 box) Last updated 10/08
Biographical/Historical: The Korean War was a military struggle fought on the Korean Peninsula from June 1950 to July 1953. The conflict began as a war between North and South Korea, which later included the United States and 19 other nations. The U.S. and the United Nations came to the aid of South Korea to prevent the communist invasion.
Kurtz, Anthony & Company Records,
This collection contains one account book showing business transactions from July 10, 1805 through July 12, 1809 for the general merchandise store Anthony Kurtz and Company. Shows purchases of supplies from other businesses. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Kurtz Funeral Home Records, 985 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the account books from Kurtz Funeral and Furniture business. The accounts date from 1867 to 1948. The collection includes a typed abstract, which can be photocopied. The records give an approximate date of death for many Winchester, VA (USA) residents. Also included is an account of the Valley Campaign, written by Capt. George W. Kurtz, ca. 1900. An index is available upon request in the Archives Room.
NOTE: Record books cannot be photocopied. They may be examined. Abstracts of records in Box 10 may be photocopied.
(1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Biographical/Historical: Kurtz Funeral and Furniture Store was established in 1868 and was located at 2-4 N. Cameron Street. Kurtz Funeral and Furniture business was established in 1868 as the first post-Civil War business in Winchester, VA. The business was started by Capt. George W. Kurtz at the Kerr building, but moved it later to the Cameron Street location in 1877 until his death in 1926. Garland R. Quarles stated that the business became one of the largest and best known such organizations in northern Virginia.
Return to top
Return to inventory index page
Return to Archives page
Return to Handley Regional Library home page