Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society
P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041, fax (540) 722-4769
A-B C-D E-G H-K L-M N-Q R-S T-Z
Index to Inventories A-B
Adams, H. Clayton Papers, 1676 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains items from the life of H. Clayton Adams, including his work with the Winchester Jaycees during the 1950s and 1960s. Also in the collections are correspondence, awards received by Adams, a yearbook from his church, and several editions of Partyline, the newsletter of the Winchester Jaycees.
(1 box) Last updated 08/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Raised and educated in Tennessee, H. Clayton Adams practiced law in Winchester, VA. He was very active in local civic organizations, particularly the Winchester Jaycees.
Adams, Richard Collection, 1488 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogical materials pertaining to the Strother, Adams, Moore, and Taylor families.
(2 boxes) Last updated 08/04.
Biographical/Historical: Richard Adams lives in Winchester, VA.
Affleck, Charles Collection, 36 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a variety of items concerning the Civil War, Numismatics, Local history and businesses of Winchester-Frederick County, VA dating as far back as the early 19th Century.
(8 boxes) Last updated 05/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Charles Affleck was born in Winchester, VA on May 3, 1896. After a career with General Mills in Atlanta, GA he retired to Winchester in 1951. Affleck, a noted expert on Numismatics was an active member of the Winchester- Frederick County Historical Society and was the driving force in the society obtaining the Civil War diary of Mrs. Mary Greenhow Lee. He died on September 21, 1974, and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.
Affleck, John W. Collection, 279 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The John W. Affleck Collection contains Huber family papers from Holland and Pennsylvania. Included are the original papers written in Dutch and an English translation. These papers range from letters to baptism certificate and range from 1733 to 1843.
(1 Box) Last updated 06/12. Digitized 02/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John W. Affleck was a Winchester, VA resident and businessman. He was born at his family home "Bid-a-Wee" on Peyton Street in Winchester, VA on Jan. 1, 1850, to Alexander G. Affleck and Ann E. Hoover. For many years he was in the agricultural implement business with his brother Scott A. Affleck. On Dec. 26, 1883, he married Rosa Kerfoot and had five children. Affleck died on Dec. 27, 1930.
AFRICAN-AMERICAN COLLECTION, 1599 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains material relating to African-Americans in Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, and Lower Shenandoah Valley from the eighteenth century to the present. It includes manuscripts, ephemera, and items found on the Internet
(3 boxes) Last updated 01/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The first records of the presence of African-Americans in Winchester-Frederick County, VA dates back to the 1750s. Since that time African-Americans have played an important role in the development and history of the county.
Aitken, Helen Collection, 1129 THL
Scope and Content: The Helen Aitken Collection contains original and photocopies of deeds to 101 N. Washington St., Winchester, VA from 1810 to 1965. Also included is a narrative history of this lot at the N.W. corner of Washington and Amherst Streets and 2 HABS blueprints showing 101 and other houses on the block.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Helen Aitken is the donor of this collection and a Winchester, VA resident.
Albin, Florence C. Collection, 1334 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of a 2-volume scrapbook called "Historic Winchester and Vicinity," which was photographed and written by Florence C. Albin for the state edition of The Baltimore Sun, 1925-1929.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: Florence C. Albin is the donor and creator of the scrapbooks in this collection.
Alpha Omega Sorority Collection, 1474 THL
Scope and Content: This collection consists of histories of the chapter, awards, by-laws, and a scrapbook (1967-1968) concerning the Alpha Omega Chapter of the Epsilon Sigma Alpha International located in Winchester, VA.
(2 boxes) Last updated 10/12.
Biographical/Historical: The Alpha Omega Sorority is a non-collegiate sorority and is part of the national organization called Epsilon Sigma Alpha (ESA), which formed in 1929. The ESA was the first non-collegiate sorority in America as a "What to Read Club" for women. The organization grew to over 1,200 chapters and participates in charity events. The organization’s single purpose is to inspire leadership and service by bringing good people together to pursue programs and projects that make a positive difference locally, nationally, and internationally. The local chapter, Alpha Omega, was chartered in September 1953 with 12 members.
American Association of University Women (AAUW) Winchester Branch Records, 431 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection is made up of books, papers, scrapbooks, and business records of the Winchester Chapter of American Association of University Women (AAUW) from its inception in1931 to the present. The goals of the organization are devoted to women’s education, wider opportunities for women, international understanding and cooperation, and the applications of the training and abilities of college women to the complex problems of modern life. Membership in the organization is open to all women holding baccalaureate or higher degrees from accredited colleges or universities.
(1 box) Last updated 08/06.
Biographical/Historical: The national organization of American Association of Collegiate Alumnae (ACA) to promote the role of the educated woman in the predominantly male business world. There were 17 charter members. A western association of Collegiate Alumnae was established in 1883 and then joined ACA in 1889. A southern Association of college women formed in 1903 and then merged with ACA in 1921 to become AAUW. The Winchester chapter of AAUW was established in 1931 to join the state organization. There were 19 charter members. The local organization has been very active in promoting and participating in local activities concerning political life, women’s rights, social questions, higher education for women, etc.
American Diabetes Association, Winchester Area, Dr. Robert C. Green Jr. Chapter Records, 1613 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains newsletters, membership notes, news articles for the American Diabetes Association in the Winchester (VA) Area/ Dr. Robert C. Green Jr. Chapter Records, covering 1978 – 2005.
(2 boxes) Last updated 11/07.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester Area/ Dr. Robert C. Green Jr. Chapter board of directors named this local organization to honor Dr. Robert C. Green Jr. for his help in founding the chapter, his work to continue its growth, and his dedication to the people in the Winchester area with Diabetes. The chapter has two fundraisers each year. One is selling chairs at the Apple Blossom Parade. The second is the Walk for Diabetes.
American Legion-Conrad Hoover Post Collection, 940 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The American Legion, Winchester, VA Collection contains materials such as programs for shows sponsored by the American Legion from 1920 and 1927; memorabilia from a battlefield and cemetery tour of France (1927); and a scrapbook from a 1927 American Legion Convention in France all of which are associated with the Conrad-Hoover Post 21 of Winchester, VA. The collection also contains the charter for the Charles Edward Williams Jr. Post 187 which was founded by Winchester-Frederick County African-American veterans in 1947.
(2 box) Last updated 08/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The American Legion first came to Virginia in April of 1919 when a committee was sent from France by the Paris Caucus. A group of ex-service men from all over Virginia were elected as a temporary state executive committee to oversee the local posts in their election of delegates to represent Virginia at the national caucus in St. Louis on May 8-10, 1919. It was at this caucus that the American Legion was launched as a national organization.
The Robert Y. Conrad Post of Winchester, VA was the 21st post set up in Virginia. Major Conrad was killed in World War I at the Battle of Meuse-Argonne. After World War II, the name was changed to the Conrad-Hoover Post, in honor of Charles Hoover, the first Winchester-Frederick County resident killed in action during World War II.
The Winchester-Frederick County African-American American Legion Post was founded in January, 1947 and designated the 187th post in Virginia. The post was named in honor of PFC Charles Edward Williams Jr., the first Winchester-Frederick County African-American to be killed in action in World War II.
American Red Cross, Winchester and Frederick County, VA, Chapter 24 Collection. 1361 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains an assortment of materials from the Winchester-Frederick County, VA Red Cross, Chapter 24. The first box contains annual meeting reports from 1952 to 1984 and executive committee meetings records, 1917-1986. Box 2 contains bloodmobile visits, correspondence, and emergency programs, 1918-1979. Box 3 has activities, reports, and miscellaneous program reports. The fourth box is made up of miscellaneous materials relating to the Red Cross including issues of Red Cross News and The Red Cross Magazine. The remainder of the collection contains scrapbooks, 1921-1987, and other Red Cross paraphernalia.
(5 boxes) Last updated 12/2009.
Biographical/Historical: The Winchester-Frederick County Chapter of the American Red Cross was established in 1917 and is active in the community with blood programs, first aid classes, and water safety programs.
The International Red Cross was established in 1859 by Henry Dunant of Switzerland out of a need for more effective and humane treatment of soldiers during wartime. He called for the creation of national relief societies to assist those wounded in war, and pointed the way to the future Geneva Conventions. Clara Barton (1821-1912) dominated the early history of the American Red Cross, which was modeled after the International Red Cross. She successfully organized the American Association of the Red Cross in Washington, D.C., on May 21, 1881. Created to serve America in peace and in war, during times of disaster and national calamity, Barton's organization took its service beyond that of the International Red Cross Movement by adding disaster relief to battlefield assistance. The American Red Cross is a large, active organization today, helping with relief efforts all over the world.
Amick, Daisy Collection, 144 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains an assortment of records from the Revolutionary War, primarily of Frederick County, VA; Hampshire and Jefferson Counties, WV; Allegheny County, MD; and Bucks County, PA, USA. Also included are genealogical materials of the Lower Shenandoah Valley, VA, personal correspondence (1937-1980), court records, cemetery lists, scrapbooks, and wills.
(9 boxes) Last updated 01/07.
Biographical/Historical: Daisy Dean Amick, the compiler of this collection, was a Frederick County, VA resident who lived from 1906 to 1981. She served in World War II as a Lt. Army nurse. She was an active member of the Fort Loudoun chapter of the Daughters of American Revolution (DAR) in Winchester, VA.
Apple Blossom Festival Collection, 46 THL
Scope and Content: This collection includes programs, scrapbooks, articles, extensive photographs and ephemera, 1924 to present.
(16 boxes) Last updated 04/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival is an annual event celebrating the apple blossom season and the anticipated crops for the fall harvest in the Shenandoah Valley. The festival started in 1924 and has been an annual program in Winchester, VA, except during World War II between 1942 and 1945 inclusive. The growth of the festival is reflected in the increasing program size and cost. Personalities from the entertainment, political, and sports worlds have played leading roles in the festivities.
Apple Capital Chorus Collection, 866 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains programs from productions of the Apple Capital Chorus from 1984-2010.
(1 box) Last updated 11/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester Apple Capital Chorus was founded in 1961 as the local chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society which was originally called the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America, is a non-profit organization that began in 1938. All of the chapters in the society put on performances on a regular basis and donates all of the proceeds to charity.
Aqueduct Bridge Duty Roster, 1352 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the duty roster for December 9, 1863 to June 6, 1864 for guards on the Aqueduct Bridge at the north end (Georgetown?). The detachments for this duty include the 9th Regiment (VRC), District of Alexandria, 19th Regiment (VRC) Co. A, and 22nd Regiment (VRC)—unit of the 4th Brigade, Military District of Kentucky, Co. G. The roster also details the watches of the day, who was on them, how long they lasted, and who was in command.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Aqueduct Bridge was designed by Major William Turnbull, built of wood with stone pilings, and completed in 1843. It was built to transport cargo-carrying boats on the Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Canal in Georgetown across the Potomac River to what is now Virginia. The aqueduct brought water in from a reservoir in Maryland, through Georgetown, and into Washington, DC. During the Civil War, the aqueduct was drained and a roadway was built on it for Union troops. Later, the boat channel was restored to the bridge and the roadway was placed over the channel. In 1923, the bridge was closed when Francis Scott Key Bridge was built about a hundred feet east (downstream). In 1962, seven of the eight remaining pilings from the Aqueduct Bridge were removed.
Armed Forces Collection, 570 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of service records and photographs of men and women from the Winchester, VA area who served in the Armed Forces during peacetime. .
(1 box) Last updated 09/09.
Biographical/Historical: The United States Armed Forces are comprised of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Armel, John Papers, 1354 WFCHS (MMF)
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the letters written by Private John F. Armel, Company K, 107th Pennsylvania Infantry, to his wife from December 4, 1864-March 1, 1865. Private Armel was serving at Petersburg in late 1864 and early 1865.
(1 folder)Last updated 02/13.
Return to top
Babb Family Association Collection, 1632 THL
Scope and Content: Genealogical materials compiled by Jean A. Sargent on the Babb Family and Allied Families used to write her books. Her files became the property of the Babb Family Association, which holds the copyright to the materials. In 2007 the files were donated to the Handley Archives. Jean’s published genealogies include Babb Families of New England and Beyond, which she co-authored with Ina G. Babb Mansur; and Babb Families of America of which she was the sole author. This collection initially follows the outline of her book, "Babb Families of America" in reference to Phillip Babb and his descendants through time. The collection also includes Allied Families and considerable material on Jean’s parental lines. Babbs are listed by locale as they spread down the east coast and across the country and are also included. Mrs. Sargent passed away 24 January 2011. (There are 36 boxes in the collection) This inventory was last updated 2/4/2012
The Babb Family Association has funded the digitization of the collection. Not every folder was digitized due to copyright issues with some materials. Notably the Babb Family Association newsletters were not digitized, but contacting the Babb Family Association may purchase a digital copy of the newsletters on CD or DVD. These files will be searchable PDFs with the exception of hand written items, which will not be searchable. The Archives will also have a copy of the digital files.
The point of contact for the Association is Mr. Daniel Greig Babb, c/o The Babb Family Association, 4614 Cedar Springs Road, Unit E, and Dallas, Texas 75219-1412. The Association also has a website at http://www.myfamily.com/babb, and they may be found at Facebook Group "Babb Family Association."
Biographical/Historical: The Babb family has roots in England and in Bavaria. It has not been determined how the two lines are connected. This collection focuses on the English Babbs whose roots are found in the Devonshire area of England in the 16th and 17th Century. Philip Babb, who came to the Isles of Shoals off the coast of New England in the 1650s, which was then part of the Colony of Massachusetts, was the founder of the English line in America. Some information on Babbs from Bavaria is included in the collection.
Baetjer, Henry Records Collection, 403 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains account books of Henry Baetjer & Co. of Winchester, Virginia, which include references to Miller Plantation Company, Baetjer’s Insurance, and other assets and investments.
(2 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Born in Germany in 1841, Baetjer immigrated to Baltimore, Maryland in 1859. Shortly after the Civil War ended, Beatjer moved to Winchester, and opened a dry good business on the southeast corner of Boscawen and Loudoun Street. Over the next 41 years, Baetjer’s dry goods business grew to one of the largest and most successful businesses in Winchester. During this period he was described as a man with simple tastes, devoted to his family, and faithful to his friends. His son, Dr. Frederick Henry Baetjer, became one of the leading pioneers in X-Ray research Baetjer died on May 11, 1912, and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Bageant, Gertrude Over Collection, 281 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains scrapbooks of wartime newspapers and clippings belonging to Gertrude Bageant, a Winchester, VA resident. It includes announcements of President Roosevelt’s death and the activities of men and women during World War II. Index compiled by Walt Brown, 2002.
(3 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Mrs. Gertrude Over Bageant was born in Frederick County, VA on January 10, 1897 to Mr. and Mrs. James Mason. A life-long resident of Frederick County, Bageant was a receptionist at the Winchester Memorial Hospital, a member of the Turner Ashby Chapter 54, United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Market Street United Methodist Church. Mrs. Bageant died on September 11, 1983 and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery.
Bageant, Mrs. Harold Collection, 1430 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains a scrapbook with newspaper photographs and laminated newspaper photographs of Winchester, VA history. Also among this collection are three photographs of a Winchester and Western Railroad coach and engine, Apple Blossom Festival fireman’s parade, and the Sarah Zane Volunteer Fire Company building. The photos are kept in the Archives photo file.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
Biographical/Historical: Mrs. Harold Bagaent is the compiler of this collection and a Winchester, VA resident.
Bailey Brothers Records Collection, 783 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains two account books, an invoice book, and a sales book of Bailey Brothers’ General Merchandise in Winchester, VA, USA. Also included are correspondence and an IRS form belonging to W.A. Bailey. These materials span from 1920 to 1942. (1 box) Last updated 11/10.
Biographical/Historical: Bailey Brothers-General Merchandise was located at 4-6-8 South Market Street on the corner of Boscawen and Cameron Streets (now 30 S. Cameron Street), Winchester, VA, USA. Its owners were William A., Cecil, and Ora Bailey, all sons of Charles P. Bailey, a merchant and farmer of Green Spring.
Bailey’s opened for business in 1904 and closed its doors in May of 1951. Open every day but Sundays and holidays; the store was particularly crowded on Saturdays. Horses and buggies and wagons streamed in to the store bringing such home farm products as ham, lard, chickens, guineas, and grain to barter for other store goods. Bailey Brothers was equipped with everything a shopper needed from clothes and shoes to groceries and baked goods and candy. It was a one-stop shopping experience and friendly meeting place for people in Frederick County for nearly a half century.
Baker, Gibson Collection, 283 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence and memorabilia from three generations of the Baker family. Also included are items of interest about Winchester, VA, including a Russell account book and the minutes of the Grange #145 commencing with the organizational meeting on April 15, 1874 through March 2, 1878.
(1 box) Last updated 02/08.
Biographical/Historical: Gibson Baker, son of Goodwin Baker and Lucie Gibson, married Katherine E. Smith in 1925 at the home of his grandparents Josiah and Alcinda (Osborn) Baker. Goodwin was a bookkeeper at the Shenandoah Valley National Bank and Lucie was the daughter of Confederate hero Capt. Bruce Gibson.
Baker, Henry Family Papers, 1458 WFCHS, Scope and Content:
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of genealogies, scrapbooks, and other personal papers of the Henry Baker family of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Henry Baker was born in Germany on June 10, 1733. He came to America around 1755 and became a partner of Frederick Conrad. He built his home, "Willow Grove," on 500 acres outside of Winchester. During the American Revolution, he was a commissary. By trade, he was a butcher and a general merchandise dealer. He married Maria E. Fink and had eight children. On March 17, 1808, Henry Baker died and was buried in the old Lutheran graveyard in Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Baker, James Collection, 888 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of an account book kept by James Carr Baker from his law practice in Winchester, VA, USA. The account book lists his clients by name along with their accounts for the legal services Baker provided. Also included are Memoirs of Susan E. Baker and James Carr Baker upon their deaths.
(1 box) Last updated 10/03.
Biographical/Historical: James Carr Baker was born in 1811. He lived on Greenwood farm, Opequon, VA with his wife, Susan E. Glass, and their four children. He had a law practice in Winchester, VA and was a member of the Winchester Bar Association. He was also a writer and church elder at Kent Street Presbyterian Church in Winchester. Baker died in 1888.
Baker, Julian W. Papers, 87 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains genealogical materials on selected families, the Revolutionary War records for Daniel Morgan and other soldiers, was well as some War of 1812 soldiers. Boxes 1-3 are exclusively about genealogical inquiries and responses by Julian Baker, c. 1940s; folders arranged by surname researched. (4 boxes) Last updated 01/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Julian W. Baker was born on November 15, 1889 to Julian W. and Mary Catherine Stump Baker in Frederick County, VA. He attended Shenandoah Valley Academy and was in the real estate and insurance business prior to entering the antique business in 1942. He was assistant county clerk for a number of years during the 1930s, and was appointed county clerk in 1939 and served in that capacity until 1941. He died of a heart attack on March 10, 1949 at his home in Winchester, VA. and was buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery. Baker was never married.
Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company Collection, 1140 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of a cash book kept by the freight agent, 1866, and a shipping book, 1868, which includes family expenses from March 1877 to August 1878, both from the Winchester, VA depots. Also included is an exhibit catalog, 1927, entitled, "The Catalogue of the Centenary Exhibition of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad." (1 box) Last updated 10/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad was chartered by the state of Maryland on February 28, 1827 and incorporated on April 24, 1827 with Philip E. Thomas as president. The development of the railroad was a reaction to the success of the Erie Canal and how that would affect the city of Baltimore. In 1830, the B&O was ready for business. The railroad began to grow and in 1871 expanded its tracks to Pittsburgh, and in 1874 into Chicago; and by 1886 into Philadelphia. With the line into Philadelphia, the B&O was connected to the Philadelphia & Reading & Central Railroad, which enabled passengers to continue up to New York City. During the 1960s, the B&O was taken over by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.
Bank of Winchester Collection, 1148 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains account statements, individual notes, receipts, stock statements and general bank records of the Bank of Winchester (VA).
(1 box) Last updated 1/07.
Biographical/Historical: A private and unchartered Bank of Winchester opened in 1815. It was operated from the house of Joseph Gamble, one of the principal stockholders. He was a tailor and a respected member of the community. This Bank of Winchester operated through 1818.
Mr. Robert Y. Conrad, president, and Mr. Robert B. Wolf, cashier, started a later Bank of Winchester as a savings institution. Located on Loudoun Street, the bank was chartered in 1853. Though it tried to stay open, the Bank of Winchester was forced to close in 1862. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Dr. William S. Miller, an officer of the bank, hid the assets and papers of the bank until after the war when the bank could safely disburse the funds to the stockholders.
Barley, Kent Collection, 265 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a variety of items associated with the Barley family and its allied families. Included are correspondence, funeral programs, receipts, wedding invitations, and other items associated with the family from 1808 to the present.
(2 boxes) Last updated 07/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Beginning with Adam Barley Sr., the Barley Family has lived and farmed in the Stephens City area since the early 1800s.
Barley, Mary F. Collection, 908 THL
Scope and Content: This genealogy is one part of the Mary F. Barley Collection, dated 1967. It is a compilation of genealogical information gathered by Mrs. Barley about her mother’s family (Spears) tree. It is a comprehensive listing of places, names, dates, etc., including allied names of Cooper, Tucker, Pickett, Holman, Welch, Keller, Kerr, and Frye. (1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Biographical/Historical: Mary Frye Barley was born on June 18, 1888 in Boyle County, KY. She was the daughter of Arch and Frances Moore Spears Frye. She married Carl Clinton Barley on July 18, 1906. They had two daughters, Mary and Frances. Barley lived a greater part of her life in California, where she was active in various historical organizations, serving in some as an officer.
Barrett, David Records, 1404 THL
Scope and Content: This collection includes an account book of a Winchester, VA business owned by David Barrett covering January 1839 to October 1843. The book states the accounts of his customers and his merchandise.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
Biographical/Historical: David Barrett had a general mercantile business in Winchester, VA.
Bartley, Prenith L (Bob) Collection, 775 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains items relating to the life and work of Prenith L. (Bob) Bartley, and consists primarily of records of his community service with Optimist International and as a 32nd degree Mason in Winchester, VA. He is a member of Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 A.M. & F.M. and served as Master. There are also photographs, which are included in the Photograph Collection in the Archives.
(1 box) Last updated 11/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Prenith L. "Bob’ Bartley was born in Kentucky on October 18, 1931, and moved with his family to Winchester, VA in 1937. Bartley owned and operated Hess Shoe Store and Shoe Service in Berryville as well as the Triangle Diner, Grim’s Shoe Repair, and Bartley Real Estate. He was also involved in community service during most of his adult life as a member of Optimist International, and Winchester Hiram Lodge #21 A.M. & F.M. He is also a Shriner and served as President of the Winchester Shrine Club twice and the Blue Ridge Shrine Club once, and a member of the Knights of the York Cross of Honor.
Barton, Bolling Family Collection 1423 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection is primarily correspondence between Barton family members. The bulk of correspondence is to Bolling W. Barton while he was a student at Virginia Military Institute in 1862 and 1863. An abbreviated genealogy, memorial service programs, and Major Randolph Barton’s reminiscences give additional information about civilian and military activities during the Civil War. Of particular note are two handwritten letters from Barton family slaves and a note from Mrs. Robert E. Lee dated December 22, 1869 regretting that her daughters were not able to attend a wedding. Itemized list of family correspondence follows the inventory.
(1 box) Last updated 11/11.
Note: All correspondence has been transcribed. It is available in that form for researchers' use. Researchers may also wish to consult Defend the Valley: A Shenandoah Family in the Civil War by Margaretta Barton Colt (New York: Orion Books, 1994), call number 975.5 COL, in the Archives Reading Room. These letters were used in the writing of this book.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Richard P. Barton (1750-1821) came to Frederick County in 1802 from Lancaster, PA. He named five sons in his will, one of whom, David W. Barton (1800-1863) was a lawyer and farmer in Frederick County, VA. David and his wife, Frances L. Barton were the parents of Bolling W. Barton and Randolph J. Barton as well as seven other children. The family lived on Cameron Street, and owned the farm at Springdale. Frances Barton’s mother, Ann Cary Randolph Jones, lived at Vaucluse near Middletown, VA. All six sons were members of the Confederate Army, and two were killed as a result of combat during the war, and another died shortly after the war from the effects of a battlefield wound.
Bolling, the youngest son, was a cadet at VMI during the war, and was called up for duty three times during the war, including the Battle of New Market in May, 1864 where he participated in the charge of the cadets at the battle. After the war, he settled in Baltimore, MD where he became a successful physician. He died in 1924.
Randolph served as the Sergeant Major of the 33rd Virginia Infantry, Stonewall Brigade and was wounded at the First Battle of Manassas. Captured at the First Battle of Kernstown, he enlisted in the 2nd Virginia Infantry after being exchanged. Rising to the rank of Major during the war, he surrendered with his regiment at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. Following the war, he, like Bolling, settled in Baltimore, MD, where he became a lawyer. He died in 1921.
Barton, Lewis Neil Collection, 485 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of scrapbooks, diaries, genealogical material, news articles, and photos, covering both local (Winchester, VA, USA) and national figures and events. (9 boxes) Last updated 03/10. DIGITIZED 09/09.
Biographical/Historical: Lewis Neil Barton, who gathered this collection, was a Winchester, VA historian. The son of Lewis Neil Barton and Elizabeth Cover, Barton was born on November 11, 1894 in Winchester and died on September 14, 1982 in Winchester. Barton graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in chemical engineering. In 1917, he became an instructor of mathematics and science at the Shenandoah Valley Academy, continuing to teach there for 18 years. He was a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, Civil War Roundtable, and the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society. He is co-author of What I Know About Winchester. He and his first wife, Eleanor Wolfe, had a daughter named Anne Barton Hawkins. His second wife was Mary Louise Miller. Lewis Neil Barton was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.
Barton, Robert Family Papers, 1268 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of notebooks, brochures, and club rosters from educational and fraternal organizations of Winchester, VA. Also among this collection are Barton family papers including a genealogy, scrapbook, and a ledger kept by Robert T. Barton. Some World War I materials are included.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Robert Thomas Barton was the son of David W. Barton and Fannie L. Jones and was born in Winchester, VA on Nov. 24, 1842. He served as a captain in the Rockbridge Battery since 1862 until ill health forced him to transfer to the Ordinance Department. In 1865, he was admitted to the bar and became one of the leading lawyers in the state. He was also author of some standard textbooks, Barton’s Law Practice and Barton’s Chancery Practice. Barton was also a member of the Virginia House of Delegates (1884-85), mayor of Winchester in 1896, and sat as chair or president on several state and local organizations. He married twice, first to Katie Knight (1868) and then to Gertrude W. Baker (1890). He had two children with Gertrude. He died on Jan. 17, 1917 and was buried in Mt. Hebron cemetery.
Barton, Thomas C. Jr. Papers, 309 WFCHS
Scope and Content: The Thomas C. Barton Papers is a collection of materials pertaining to World War I (1914-1918). The first folder contains souvenir postcards, cartoons, and photos. The second folder contains detailed military maps used for operational maneuvers in France. The third folder has the roster of Co. M, 317th Infantry (1919) commanded by Capt. Thomas C. Barton, Jr.
(1 box) Last updated 03/06.
Biographical/Historical: Thomas C. Barton, Jr. is a New Jersey resident and the compiler of this collection.
Baughman, David L. Collection, 1635 THL
Scope and Content: The David L. Baughman Collection contains an autobiographical sketch outlining the files included: 42 years of work history, Mason articles written and published, life-long pastimes, various articles written for publication, including “High Tech from the Dark Ages”, and projects after retirement.
(1 box) Last updated 02/08.
Biographical/Historical: David L. Baughman was born in Hardy County, WV. When he was very young, his family moved to Winchester where he graduated from high school in 1942. He was employed as an engineer for 40 years, and during that time was granted several patents. His life-long pastime was woodworking, and this collection includes pictures and stories of his creations from 1947-2006. In 1986, after his retirement, he researched, complied, and published “The Baughmans of Baughman Settlement, Hardy County, WV”. The manuscript engaged him for 10 years.
Bayliss, E. E. Collection, 126 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: His collection consists of material on Frederick County schools, Gainesboro Post Office and, Fire Hall information, three five dollar bills from the Bank of the Valley of Virginia, 1847, and miscellaneous Bayliss and Fries family materials.
(1 Box) Last updated 05/12
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: E. E. Bayliss Jr. was born June 29, 1924 in Gainesboro, VA. A veteran of World War II, Bayliss was a realtor in Frederick County, VA for most of his adult life and an avid collector of items of local history. He died on June 1, 2009 and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.
Belchic, Benjamin Collection, 1 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains certificates of appreciation from B’nai B’rith, Junior Chamber of Commerce, and Selective Service Committee presented to Mr. Benjamin Belchic.
(1 box) Last updated 02/12.
Biographical/Historical: Benjamin Belchic was born on July 10, 1908 in Philadelphia, PA, the son of Abraham and Rachel Roseman Belchic. He came to Winchester, VA in 1932. He married Frances Louise Eutsler in 1941. Ben Belchic died on December 29, 1977 and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Bell, Stewart Jr. Collection, 7 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains various memorabilia collected throughout the life of Stewart Bell Jr., a life-long resident of Winchester, and includes the history of the Bell Family and their neighbors. There is also material about Winchester and Frederick County, and the Handley Regional Library.
(12 boxes) Last updated 01/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL: Stewart Bell Jr., known affectionately as "Mr. Winchester" by all who knew him, served his hometown in so many useful ways that it is impossible to list them all. Bell, was born in Winchester on September 8, 1910, the son of Stewart Bell Sr. and Laura Campbell Miller Bell. He held degrees from Handley High School, Hampden Sidney College, and the University of Virginia. Following graduation, he worked for a time as a teacher at Middletown High School, and later as the principal of Sydney Gore School. In 1943, he married Rosalie Bruce Nelson. Bell served as a member of the Winchester City Council from 1954-1972 when he was elected mayor. He served from 1972 to 1980. Baptized as a small boy by Stonewall Jackson’s minster Rev. James Graham, he was an enthusiastic student of local history and an active member of the Winchester, Frederick County Historical Society. He passed away on December 17, 2001 at the age of 91. The Stewart Bell Jr. Library Archives at the Handley Regional Library is named in his honor.
Belle Grove Collection, 890 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains personal and business papers on Belle Grove and the Hite family, including legal, financial and real estate documents; tax records; newspapers, magazines clippings; architectural records; archaeological records; and photographic materials. In addition to documenting the lives of the Hite family, this collection includes information on 18th and 19th Century agricultural practices, the Civil War, and the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia.
(21 boxes) Last updated 10/2012.
Biographical/Historical: Belle Grove in Middletown, VA was built from 1794 to 1797 for Major and Mrs. Isaac Hite. Hite received the land from his father in 1783. That same year, Isaac Hite married Nelly Conway Madison, sister to James Madison. The property remained in the Hite family until 1860 when it was sold to John and Benjamin Cooley. During the Civil War, the house was in the midst of the Battle of Cedar Creek. The property has had multiple owners until 1929, when it was purchased by Francis Welles Hunnewell, who had the house restored. In 1964, Hunnewell bequeathed the property to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which is now managed by a separate, nonprofit organization, Belle Grove, Inc.
Beth El Congregation Collection, 723 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This contains a program from the Cornerstone Laying and Dedication Service and Rededication Service with a history of the Beth El Congregation 1954-1974 and a history of the Jewish Community in Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.
Biographical/Historical: The Beth El Congregation of Winchester, VA, served by Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion since 1953 has been affiliated from 1956 with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the organization of the Reform movement in Judaism. The temple construction was completed at 520 Fairmont Avenue, Winchester, in 1956. The Beth El Congregation continues to serve the Winchester area and surrounding Lower Shenandoah Valley communities.
Bibles Collection, 1693 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains six family Bibles, including two written in German, which were printed between 1747-1855 (two of the Bibles, however, have not date). The Bibles contain genealogical material on the Miller, Stephenson, and Sloat families. This material has been copied and is located in Box 1.
(1 box, 8 Bibles) Last updated 01/2013.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: These Bibles were used by Winchester-Frederick County, Virginia families from it earliest period of history and well into the 20th Century.
Bicentennial of the Nation Collection, 731 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, news articles, and events from the Clarke-Frederick-Winchester Bicentennial Commission. Included is a folder of the chronology of events in America in 1776. Materials cover celebrations for the Fourth of July in the years 1976 through 1980.
(1 box) Last updated 01/10.
Billings Family Papers, 1498 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains information about the Billings family. Included is a Confederate States of America (CSA) pension application for E.S. Billings, Thomas Billings’ family group sheet covering 1481 to 1863, a biographical sketch of Edgar Josiah Hailey, and a few letters and photographs. Mrs. Lu Neal Hailey compiled this material in 1998.
(1 box) Last updated 01/09.
Biographical/Historical: E.S. Billings was born in Mt. Jackson, VA in 1846. His family had moved to Virginia from Connecticut in 1844. He served in VA 11th Cavalry, Company I. His entire family moved to Texas in 1870. He married Sarah Harding Brown in Texas. E.S. Billings died on November 21, 1926 in Texas.
Biser Family Collection, 762 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of Biser family materials including Bible records, deeds, indentures, receipts, a will, and other miscellaneous papers.
(1 box) Last updated 08/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Biser family lived in Hampshire County, Virginia, between 1709 and 1883.
Blum, Mary Bahlman Collection, 977 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the memoir Three Generations in Winchester, Virginia by Mary Bahlman Blum. The book is the memoir of Mary Bahlman Blum who was born in Winchester, VA in 1906 and died in Atlanta, GA in 1988. The collection also contains news clippings, and other material relating to the Bahlman family and others mentioned in her reminiscences.
(1 box) Last updated 2/2012.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Mary Bahlman Blum was born in 1906 and was raised in Winchester, VA during the early 20th century. She graduated from Fort Loudoun Seminary and Bernard College. She also completed graduate work in history and taught school. She died in Atlanta, GA in 1988. Her daughter, Judy Blum Greenberg, typed and edited these memoirs.
Bond, Walker Family Papers, 163 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of account books, school notes, and photo albums of the Bond Family of Frederick County, Virginia.
(2 Boxes) Last updated 11/06.
Biographical/Historical: Walker Bond was born in Frederick County, VA in 1875. He gained a civil engineering degree from Swathmore College and was a farmer and orchardist. He was chair and president of multiple local boards. He married twice but had no children. Bond died in 1957.
Bookplate Collection, 1418 THL
Scope and Content: This collection consists of books, which contain interesting and unique bookplates, and book plates.
(1 box) Last updated 07/06.
Biographical/Historical: Bookplates were, and are still, used as a form of identifying the owner of the book.
Boppe, Margaret Collection, 1487 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains the James Bean Bible records, 1770-1819; manuscript on the life and family of John Bean, and Henry Secrest’s Revolutionary War service record.
(1 box) Last updated 12/06.
Biographical/Historical: Margaret Boppe is the donor of this collection and a Winchester, VA resident.
Bowen, G. A. Records, 541 THL
Scope and Content: The G. A. Bowen Records collection contains a Bill Book from 1842, an Invoice Book 1842-43 with an inventory of purchases, and also a Day Book and Ledger dated 1850-51. Location of the business was Norwich, but no state is associated with these materials.
(1 box) Last updated 01/19/2011.
Biographical/Historical: Not available. G. A. Bowen has been researched, but does not appear in records. Research has not proven "Reid and Bowen" and "G. A. Bowen" were located in Frederick County, Va., or in Virginia. The place name of "Norwich" is not local or in Virginia.
Bowman Family Collection, 249 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains extensive genealogy materials of the Bowman family, covering the mid-18th through the mid-20th centuries. It includes correspondence and newspaper clippings. Compiled by Ray O. Bowman.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/08.
Bowman, Marie Collection, 1080 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains much information about the Civil War in the form of newspapers, pamphlets, United Daughters of the Confederacy information, and letters. This material refers to both local and statewide people and events.
(1 box) Last updated 12/06.
Biographical/Historical: Marie C. Bowman was born on May 5, 1909 in Lebanon Church, VA, daughter of Ernest D. and Laura Snapp Funkhouser. She was president of the Winchester Chapter of the United Daughters of Confederacy, and belonged to the Women’s Auxiliary of the Salvation Army, Daughters of the American Revolution, and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Winchester, VA. She married Harry P. Bowman. Mrs. Bowman died in December 1988 and was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.
Boyce, Joyce Gibbens Collection, 1636 THL
Scope and Content: The Joyce Gibbens Boyce Collection contains business bill heads from the 1880’s; two undated business broadsides, one of C. Nott & Co., Winchester, VA, and one of Capper’s Springs, Frederick County, VA; unnumbered receipts for teacher’s salaries for various semesters between January, 1889 and January, 1897; two printed, leaves, receipts to the Mary Taylor Estate for United States Direct Taxes, November 27, 1865, Green Hill, Clarke County, VA; a 56 page printed booklet Jacob Frymire, American Limmer, an exhibition organized by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, 1975; an account book, March, 1886 – October, 1906, and the settlement of the estate of Samuel Larew, including Will dated, February 9, 1886. Last updated 02/08
Biographical/Historical: Joyce Gibbons Boyce is a native of Winchester and has shared these papers with the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives.
BPO Elks Records, Lodge No. 867, 973 THL
Scope and Content: The collection is composed of material of the Winchester (VA) Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks-Lodge No. 867 newsletters for years 1948-1962, 1971-1978, and 1981-1983. Scrapbooks for years 1983, 1979, 1978, and 1965 are included with Question Book and Roll of Officers.
(3 boxes) Last updated 11/10.
Biographical/Historical: BPO Elks Winchester Lodge No. 867 began in 1903. In 1917, the local lodge purchased the Lloyd Logan home located on the corner of Braddock and Piccadilly Streets. In 1998, they built a new facility on Rt. 522 South.
Braddock Street United Methodist Church Records, 925 THL
Scope and Content: These 10 boxes contain the church records of Braddock Street United Methodist Church, and include church registers (1778-1927); minutes and treasurers records (1879-1934), as well as a variety of items. Also within the records are items from the Woman’s Missionary Society, Braddock Street United Methodist Church Sewing Society records, quarterly conferences (1883-1989) records, and monographs relating to the history of Methodism and Braddock Street United Methodist Church, Winchester, VA, USA. (10 boxes) Last Updated 12/10
Biographical/Historical: Braddock Street United Methodist Church formed from Market Street Methodist Church and organized July 24, 1858, under the Virginia Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, by Sunday School Superintendent William R. Denny because of a dispute with the Market Street Methodist Episcopal Church (Winchester, VA) over reserved seating for students from the nearby Valley Female Institute (Winchester, VA). The first minister was Reverend George H. Ray, who arrived in November, 1858. During the Civil War the church was used as a hospital by both sides. The church building underwent a major renovation in 1898-99. Between World War I (1914-1918) and World War II, (1939-1945) the church acquired additional land, and membership grew.
Bragg, George William Records, 380 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains an account book from George William Bragg’s Organ and Piano Shop of Middletown, VA, from 1882 to 1884. Also included are Law questions and answers and political campaign notes. Paul and Arthur Bragg’s names are mentioned.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: No history found.
Broadsides Collection, 1304 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is made up of broadsides on a variety of subjects for businesses in the Winchester and Frederick County area.(1 box) Last updated 09/08.
Brooke, Benjamin Papers, 165 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the Journal of Rev. Benjamin Brooke (1837-1863), pastor of the Market Street Methodist Church, and a transcript of a sermon delivered by Rev. Brooke on February 3, 1861 entitled "Olive Branch: or The Conservatism of Christianity". (1 box), Last Updated 01/11
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Born on February 5, 1820, Benjamin Brooke was a native of Fauquier County, Virginia. In 1841 he graduated from Dickinson College, and joined the Baltimore Conference. Brooke married Elizabeth Glasscock of Fauquier County, VA in 1844. He lived in Winchester, Virginia between 1860 and 1864, and was pastor of Market Street Methodist Church. His journal covers his and the church’s experience during the turbulent Civil War years. After the war he lived in Memphis, TN, and Pittsburgh, PA., serving as an Episcopal minister. He often visited Winchester, and preached at both the Methodist and Episcopal churches. Brooke died on September 25, 1882 at his farm near White Hall in Frederick County, VA.
Brookland Woolen Mills Records, 1347 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains records for Friendly Grove Woolen Mill, later named Brookland Woolen Mill located just outside of Winchester, VA, USA.
(5 boxes) Last updated 10/03.
Biographical/Historical: Joseph C. Baldwin established Friendly Grove Woolen Factory in 1808. In 1828, John Griffith, his sons Aaron H., and Joseph Griffith, and cousins Asa and Israel Hoge formed the firm Griffith, Hoge & Company. GH&Co. continued the business under the name Friendly Grove Woolen Factory until 1835, when Aaron and Joseph bought out the other partners. Friendly Grove was located one mile south of Winchester on Abram’s Creek. This mill produced flannels, worsteds, blankets, and linseys.
In 1839, Aaron and Joseph Griffith bought a larger mill, known as the Kelso and Wilson Mill, three miles east on Abram’s Creek at Brookland. They called it Brookland Woolen Mills. The brothers ran this mill and Friendly Grove until 1855, when Aaron Griffith acquired his brother’s interest and disposed of the Friendly Grove Mill. Benjamin Williams purchased and ran Friendly Grove until it was demolished during the Civil War. His sons, Phillip and James, rebuilt the mill and renamed it Stonewall Woolen Mill. Brookland Woolen Mills was one of the few mills to remain in operation through the Civil War. In 1877, Aaron Griffith died, and two of his sons continued mill operations. Brookland finally closed in 1904.
Brooks, Henry Moss Collection, 599 THL
SCOPE AN DCONTENT: The Henry Moss Brooks Collection contains genealogical material. The genealogical material pertains to the Moss, Quiett, Tokes, and other families. There is also material on the African-American community in Winchester, Virginia, and the new development, Orrick Commons Shopping Mall.
(2 boxes) Last updated 01/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Henry Moss Brooks is the donor of for the majority of this collection, and a Winchester, VA resident. Brooks was not only a teacher at Douglas School during the 1950s and 60s, but is also the son of two former teachers at the school. After graduating from Virginia State in 1943, Brooks served in General George S. Patton’s Third Army during the Second World War and was in eight battles, including the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, Brooks taught school at Douglas, and Handley High School. Now retired, he is involved in many local projects, including an historic local cemetery. Sheila Green Stevenson, a resident of Florida, has also donated material to the collection.
Brother James Sommers Collection, 360 THL
The Brother James Sommers Collection contains addresses presented by Brother James on historic men and events of the Civil War (1973-1976). (1 box) Last updated 02/03.
Brown, Elizabeth Collection, 1597 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains genealogical information for the Greenwalt/Greenawalt family of Winchester, Virginia, and the Yowell of Clarke County, Virginia.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.
Biographical/Historical: Elizabeth T. Brown is a resident of Winchester, VA.
Brown, Oliver M. Records, 381 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains account books of business conducted by Oliver M. Brown from 1844 to 1849. Also included are miscellaneous notes concerning personal business, bank account notes, purchase notes, an account ledger, and a listing of who owed him money.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Oliver M. Brown, son of Samuel Brown, was born on March 6, 1815. In 1838 he married Susan C. Baker and in 1850 helped run the successful Baker business for many years. Brown died on Dec. 14, 1885.
Brown, Samuel Records, 382 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains a memorandum book of Samuel Brown’s with entries of notes owed to him by area residents. It includes a diary section with daily entries about the weather and some mention of local deaths.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Samuel Brown, born in 1783, was a successful merchant of Winchester, VA. He was also an active member of the Hopewell Friends Society. On Feb. 12, 1805, he married Hannah Matthews of Baltimore, MD and had two daughters, Mary and Sarah. Brown died on August 10, 1852 and is buried in Hopewell Graveyard in Clearbrook, VA.
Brown, Stuart Collection, 1207 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains political ephemera, genealogies, and miscellaneous items. Included is an auction catalogue of the Fairfax Library and archive documents from the 17th and 18th Centuries.
(1 box) Last updated 10/11.
Biographical/Historical: Stuart E. Brown, Jr. practiced law in Berryville and ran Virginia Book Company. He wrote and published Virginia history and reprinted books on this subject.
Brucetown Factory Records, 1512 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains the records of the Brucetown Factory Woolen Mill including daybooks, ledgers and also property of William Jobe, one of the owners of the factory.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Brucetown Factory Woolen Mill was also known as Jobe Woolen Mill, Pine Grove Woolen Factory, Brucetown Factory Woolen Mill, Holmes Mill, and the Clearbrook Woolen Mill. It was an urban factory in Clear Brook, VA that had been moved from Brucetown, VA as a result of two fires in 1895 and 1896. It had been a rural woolen mill in Brucetown since the 1770s, making it the oldest woolen mill in Frederick County, VA. Brucetown Woolen Mill is important because it survived three power system changes: vertical water wheel, turbine, and electric.
William Jolliffe owned the site in 1769. In 1771, Henry McCabe, John Hite Jr., William Gibbs, and James Kirk built a water mill, which they called the Pine Grove Woolen Factory. Joel Ward bought the mill in 1810. His daughter Nancy and Christian Holmes in partnership with Daniel Clemmens ran the mill in the 1830s and called it Holmes Mill. John M. Coyle purchased Pine Grove Factory in 1836 and sold it in 1848 to William Jobe. The mill burned in a fire and was relocated to Clearbrook, VA. Due to the long years of the Depression, the mill went into receivership in 1938. In April of 1939, the mill was auctioned to William H. Lawrence Jr. Lawrence opened the mill under the name of Clearbrook Woolen Company.
Brucetown United Methodist Church Records, 1505 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains information about the Brucetown United Methodist Church, including bulletins, registers, Sunday school roll books, histories and membership, covering 1850 to 1984.
(3 boxes) Last updated 06/06.
Biographical/Historical: Known records confirm a Methodist Church in Brucetown, VA, in 1852. Gravestones adjoining the church cemetery date from 1822. The cornerstone for the present church was laid on October 10, 1874. The church is located on the north side of State Rt. 672 in northern Frederick County, VA.
Brumback, H. Lee Collection, 537 THL
Scope and Content: The H. Lee Brumback II Collection contains a diary from the Civil War, 1861-1865, covering the period from April 21, 1863 to June 25, 1863, in daily entries. Brumback mentions participation in the Grand Review by J.E.B. Stuart (1833-1864) on June 5, 1863, as well as in the Battle of Brandy Station (VA), 1863, and the Battle of Upperville (VA) on June 21, 1863. He mentions in addition participating in many small raids, especially in West Virginia, in which the regiment captured both Union soldiers and supplies.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Jacob Henry Francis Brumback (1839-1827) served in Company C of the 12th Virginia Cavalry, Confederate States of America, as a private. He lived in Frederick County, VA on March 11, 1862, when he enlisted in Winchester, VA. Records show him present for muster periods Sept./Oct. 1863 through July/Aug. 1864. He was paroled at Winchester on May 10, 1865.
Burton, James Henry Papers, 1322 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection chiefly contains correspondence from 1849 to 1892 relating to family matters and Burton’s professional assignments. Also included are Burton’s technical specifications for breech-loading firearms, published in London in 1866, and a message of John Letcher, Governor of VA to an extraordinary session of the VA Senate and House of Delegates (Jan. 7, 1861). In addition, the collection contains material collected by Thomas Tate for the biography of James Henry Burton and correspondence regarding 19th century street development in the western part of Winchester, VA by the West End Land and Building Company.
(3 boxes) Last updated 10/05.
Biographical/Historical: James Henry Burton was born on Aug. 17, 1823 at Shannondale Springs in Jefferson County, WV (then VA). Burton trained as a master armorer. In 1844, he became a master machinist in the Rifle Works of the Harper’s Ferry Arsenal and Armory (WV); in 1855, as chief engineer of the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield, near London, England, he introduced the concept of machine-made manufacture of rifles to England and Europe. His work led to a commission by VA Governor John Letcher, a commission by confederate president Jefferson Davis (1808-1889) during the Civil War, and an assignment from the German government to work in Russia. He returned to Winchester, VA in 1873 as a farmer, where he served as a member of the board of directors of the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Society of Winchester, and as a land developer with the West End Land and Building Company associated with R.T. Barton and E. Holmes Boyd, attorneys at law. Burton married three times – first, to Cornelia Mauzy from 1844 until her death in 1850; second, to Elizabeth Evering Keller from 1852 until her death in 1858; and, third, to Eugenia Harper Mauzy (1840-1924) in 1859. Burton died on Oct. 18, 1894.
Bushong, Millard Collection, 1603 THL
Scope and Content: The Millard Bushong Collection consists of a rough draft of the book Old Jube—A Bibliography of General Jubal A. Early, by Millard Bushong, author of Historic Jefferson County, as well as other history articles and books. Mr. Bushong was a faculty member at University of Richmond, Randolph-Macon College and Shepherd College.
(1 box) Last updated 03/06.
Biographical/Historical: Millard Kessler Bushong, who spent most of his life in the Shenandoah Valley, has is a native of Jefferson County, WV. He attended the Charles Town public schools and then went to Roanoke College, from which he graduated with an A.B. degree. His graduate work was completed at West Virginia University, where he received an M.A. and Ph.D. in history. In addition, he has done postgraduate work at Columbia University. He is married to the former Dean McKoin of Monroe, LA. The foregoing is excerpted from the dust jacket of Historic Jefferson County. Millard K. Bushong is the author of Historic Jefferson County and numerous Civil War titles
Business and Professional Womens Club Records, 1638 WFCHS
Scope and Content: The collection contains yearbooks over a time span of 1955 thru 1983 (16 boxes). These yearbooks contain the names and pictures of the members, club activities and functions, etc. The rest of the records contain calendars showing the dates of meetings of local professional and civic groups, miscellaneous club records from 1947 thru 1962 consisting of minutes of meetings, annual reports, certificates of awards, news-clippings, programs, etc. Last updated: 2/08
Biographical/Historical: The Business and Professional Woman’s Club was chartered April 21, 1947, with 26 charter members. The club’s purpose is to promote the interests of business and professional women and encourage cooperation among professional women in the United States and foreign countries.
Businesses of the Area Collection, 1598 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains assorted news articles, manuscripts, and ephemera of businesses of the Winchester-Frederick County, VA area listed alphabetically by name of business. Also included is a scrapbook of trade cards pasted on a book from the Health Department of the City of Baltimore and three legible death certificates for Austin Hedgson (1876), Henry Kinzel (1886), and Philipa M. Anderson (1884). Box 1 contains overview material. The remaining boxes contain folders of businesses in Winchester and Frederick County in alphabetical order.
(26 boxes) Last updated 2/20/13.
See Also—Some businesses have their own collections. To find them, perform a subject search on the Handley Regional Library online catalog (http://www.hrl.lib.state.va.us) for Business Enterprises—Virginia—Frederick County or Winchester.
Byrd, Harry Flood Sr. Collection 848 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of addresses, booklets, and other papers of Harry Flood Byrd from 1926, 1927, and 1930. These papers and booklets cover topics such as Byrd’s inauguration in 1926, addresses to the General Assembly of Virginia, and suggested changes in state amendments.
(1 box) Last updated 01/10.
Biographical/Historical: Harry Flood Byrd was born June 11, 1887, in Martinsburg, WV to Richard Evelyn Byrd II and Eleanor Bolling Flood. At age 15 he quit Shenandoah Valley Academy to supervise his father’s failing newspaper. The Winchester Evening Star. Byrd went on to become an executive at Southern Bell Telephone Co., President of the Valley Turnpike Co., and a successful apple producer. His political career includes being a member of the Winchester City Council, Virginia State Senator (1915), Democrat State Committee chairman (1922), Governor of Virginia (1925), and United States Senator (1933) where he remained until 1965. Byrd married Anne Douglas Beverly in 1913 and had four children. Byrd died October 20, 1966 and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.
Byrd, Richard Evelyn Collection, 28 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains correspondence, photographs, news clippings, awards, newsletters, speeches and other materials relevant to Admiral Richard E. Byrd (1880-1979) and his expeditions to Antarctica. Also included is an atlas called Polar Regions, which provides an in-depth comparison of the two polar regions.
(2 boxes) Last updated 07/12.
Biographical/Historical: Richard Evelyn Byrd was born in Winchester, VA on Oct. 25, 1881, son of Richard Evelyn Byrd II and Eleanor Bolling Flood. At the early age of 12, having a thirst for adventure, he persuaded his parents to permit him to make an unattended trip around the world. After two years at Virginia Military Institute and one year at the University of Virginia, he was admitted to the U.S. Naval Academy on May 28, 1908. He became interested in exploration, especially of the Atlantic and the two poles. His Antarctic expeditions are well known. While he was a Navy ensign, he was married on Jan. 20, 1915 to Marie Donaldson Ames of Boston. They had four children. Admiral Byrd died in his sleep on March 11, 1957.
Return to top
Return to inventory index page
Return to Archives page
Return to Handley Regional Library home page